Over 2TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstyler

Explorer
Hello

We experience issue with openfiler for storage > 2TB .. with OF need to made the system volume lower and add other..

With FreeNas there is the same ?

Example:
server with 6 HD 1TB - Raid 10
So, I have 1 virtual disk with 3 TB storage
any issue to install freenas here and setting same VD as storage disk ??

Thanks

Kimba

Dabbler
Nope,

The only issue in FreeNAS and size of pool has to do with memory (1 GB per 1 TB with a 4 GB recommended min). I have 1 pool of 3.6 TB and it functions the same as the other pool of 1.8 TB. For reference I had both pools on the same machine with no problems.

webstyler

Explorer
Hi Kimba

I have try to install on DELL R210 with 2 HD 2 TB / RAID 1 but get issue during installation
Insallation boot start from cdrom but see only a lot of text.. as error.. that still scroll :/

Kimba

Dabbler
Hmmmmmmm, you might have a bad disk. What are you installing the OS on? In FreeNAS 8.x.x it will take the entire disk regardless of the size that is why everyone installs it on a USB stick, CF or a small drive.

Kimba

Dabbler
For the 6 HD 1 TB use RaidZ2 which would give you 3.8 TB while surviving the possibility of 2 drives failing.

Install the OS on a 2 GB USB Stick -- that is just the easiest.

StephenFry

Contributor
I must install on server, cannot install on usb

If the board has USB capability, but no ports externally, you could buy a USB stick that attaches directly to the motherboard's USB connection.

Alternatively, you could use a sata/ide to CF converter.

...or just install on a SSD or even hard drive.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi webstyler,

Any real reason you can't install to usb? According to Dell's "Hardware Owner's Manual" there's an internal USB port on the board for exactly this purpose.

-Will

webstyler

Explorer
Hi survive

If usb broken all go down.. prefer to install also the system under raid disk

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi survive

If usb broken all go down.. prefer to install also the system under raid disk

you can install on a disk, just remember that the whole disk will be used for freenas boot drive (not data). This is why a usb is recomended.

I don't believe any raid is possible on the boot drive. FreeNAS just loads into ram so the usb is just there as a place to write the config / load the image into ram upon boot.

Also your second post sounds like you tried to install FreeNAS into a system with hardware raid, this is not recommended, and software raid is the way to go with zfs.

webstyler

Explorer
Tx for suggest Joshua

But, there is any way to boot from USB and keep safetly way to fast restore if primary usb crash ?

tx

Kimba

Dabbler
You can have 2 USBs -- 1 primary and one secondary.

Speed wise it will take 3 minutes for a reboot.

A CF will take 1 to 2 minutes on the reboot.

Remember the OS only requires 2 GB of space so anything beyond that becomes a waist and that is why we all use the USBs or CFs

I use a IDE to CF adapter because I don't want to use a precious SATA port while others use the USB because the IDE is precious for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.