SOLVED OSX 10.6 SMB to 9.3 stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Michael

Cadet
Have a brand spanking new iXSystems FreeNAS appliance with three CIFS shares. All access from PCs and Macs has been fine, and performing well... until we tried an old 10.6 Mac (no, we can't upgrade it as we're using an HD/SDI capture card that is only supported through 10.6). Anyway, this Mac will NOT connect to any share on the FreenNAS and gives an error about insufficient rights.

Is there anything I can tweak on the OSX or FreeNAS side to make this old dog work?

D

dlavigne

Does reducing the "Server minimum protocol" in Services -> CIFS make a difference?

Jim Michael

Cadet
So this is weird... I had the owner group of the share set to Domain Admins (kinda my default) and in this state (only) the OSX 10.6 Mac could not connect, even though the login it was using was a member of an AD group that had full rights to the NTFS. So I changed the owner group of the share to THAT group (and checked recursively) and voila, the Mac could now access the share just fine. Not really sure why this worked, but I'll take it!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
So this is weird... I had the owner group of the share set to Domain Admins (kinda my default) and in this state (only) the OSX 10.6 Mac could not connect, even though the login it was using was a member of an AD group that had full rights to the NTFS. So I changed the owner group of the share to THAT group (and checked recursively) and voila, the Mac could now access the share just fine. Not really sure why this worked, but I'll take it!
Sounds like there's an interoperability problem between OSX 10.6 and the ACLs that samba is presenting. In your described setup, OSX 10.6 is able to authenticate when a member of the group with the @OWNER access control entry, but not the other type of ACE. This means your permissions may be a bit buggy (for instance if owner of subfolder changes). It might be a good idea to update to test with a newer version of OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.