OSX 10.10 and SMB3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPBrian

Cadet
I am new to the forum and to FreeNAS. I am wondering if anyone has had success in getting OS X Yosemite to work with SMB 3. Under my CIFS service I can't seem to get any of my OS X boxes to talk to Freenas unless my minimum/maximum protocol version is set to SMB2.

Here is currently what I am using:

Server minimum protocol:
SMB2_10

Server maximum protocol:
SMB2_10

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You shouldn't set the server minimum protocol. Doing so may break compatibility with some embedded devices or phone / tablet apps.

Post your /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf as well as any log messages from FreeNAS that were generated when trying to connect through smb3.

Logs will be located in /var/log/messages and /var/log/samb4/log.smbd.

IPBrian

Cadet
I changed my CIFS settings to be:

Server minimum protocol:
---------

Server maximum protocol:
SMB3_00

That seems to have made things much smoother, but how do i know what transactions are flowing between devices? Should the max protocol be SMB3_00 or set to something else?

I will keep and eye on the logs, there was a bunch of messages in my SMB logs, but they all predated the above change which likely fixed a bunch of my issues.

Thanks @Anodes!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I changed my CIFS settings to be:

Server minimum protocol:
---------

Server maximum protocol:
SMB3_00

That seems to have made things much smoother, but how do i know what transactions are flowing between devices? Should the max protocol be SMB3_00 or set to something else?

I will keep and eye on the logs, there was a bunch of messages in my SMB logs, but they all predated the above change which likely fixed a bunch of my issues.

Thanks @Anodes!
By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_00 variant, but yes, set the max protocol as high as it goes. This allows samba clients to automatically negotiate the maximum supported SMB version.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The default max is smb2 because some aspects of smb3 aren't working 100% correctly in Samba and have cause problems for users. So stick with the defaults unless you *actually* have a reason to change it. That's two threads in 2 hours I've had to say this in.. /sigh

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The default max is smb2 because some aspects of smb3 aren't working 100% correctly in Samba and have cause problems for users. So stick with the defaults unless you *actually* have a reason to change it. That's two threads in 2 hours I've had to say this in.. /sigh
What! Some aspect of samba isn't working 100% correctly? Blasphemy!
Regarding the OP's problem. If you do careful analysis of samba traffic from a Mac client you will see it using SMB1 and SMB2/3 simultaneously. This means that setting "server min protocol" above NT1 will break samba for macs.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've never had a problem with SMB3 for two reasons:

1. It was disabled by default in 9.2.1.5 or 9.2.1.6 (I forget which) because SMB3 was such a problem for so many users and I know better than to change the defaults.
2. I don't use any OSes that have SMB3.

gordito4u

Dabbler
I have found that my OSX is extremely flakey with the default minimum spec for samba. I get a file can't copy it is use error on almost any file I try to copy onto the freenas box.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, that's interesting because Apple should be negotiating the highest supported protocol. So when people make the argument that changing the minimum spec fixed something I'm:

1. Skeptical because it shouldn't matter. The minimum is only to disallow old clients (often for security reasons).
2. If the client OS (or the package for CIFS being used) is that broken it makes me skeptical that they have a clue what they are doing. Literally, the default in Samba4 is exactly what FreeNAS is using. So I'd expect widespread problems.

Since we aren't seeing widespread problems, I have to wonder what is unique about your situation.

That honestly sounds like more of a permissions issue of some kind. What kind of hardware is running on your FreeNAS server?

gordito4u

Dabbler
ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard FCBGA1283 DDR3 1600/1333
16 gig of Crucial non buffered ECC
4 WD RED drives and 2 Hitachi Deskstar Drives

gordito4u

Dabbler
I am running a beta build of OSX. Not sure if that could be the issue. 10.10.3 (14D72i)

gordito4u

Dabbler
I am running jumbo frames and LACP. Don't see how that could be an issue but figured it might be worth noting. Both are properly setup on my switch. Also running jumbo MTU on my mac.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Haha. Both jumbo frames and LACP can totally screw up all the file sharing protocols if your hardware doesn't support it and if you don't have your entire network properly setup to support it. From experience, the errors I got from CIFS on my Windows machine with afu jumbo frames was failure to copy files. There's a reason why there's the sticky that says "jumbo frames are for idiots" or something to that effect.

gordito4u

Dabbler
I got a decent performance bump from jumbo frames. LACP not so much since I haven't been able to figure out how to tweak the hashing algorithm on freenas. My guess is it just load balances on source and destination mac.

gordito4u

Dabbler
I know jumbo frames are setup correctly because I can ping from both sides with DF bit set and send packets at 8000 without issue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I got 99% of theoretical throughput WITHOUT jumbo frames. So feel free to enjoy that "decent performance bump".

gordito4u

Dabbler
I must be doing something wrong then because I am seeing a bump of about 30% improvement. What would a good CIFs throughput be? Any ideas what could help boost performance? I suspect OSX is a huge part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.