SOLVED smbd - no protocol supported!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisma

Explorer
Getting an error when trying to get my android devices to connect to my cifs share.

Here is what it looks like:
Code:
smbd[80456]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsNo protocol supported !

What causes this? I have tried from multiple android devices, and they all show this.

I have smb2 server minimum and smb3 server maximum. What can I try? This appears to be a problem on the server end, not the client end.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Lower your min protocol. For instance it may be trying to use SMB1.

If that doesn't work, increase your logging level and see what samba is doing when you try to connect.

Hisma

Explorer
Lower your min protocol. For instance it may be trying to use SMB1.

If that doesn't work, increase your logging level and see what samba is doing when you try to connect.

What is SMB1? I do not have that option. I am using freenas 9.2.1.6. SMB2 is the lowest SMB option. The rest show other protocols like LANMAN and CORE.

Here is what it shows with fill logging -

Code:
smbd[7182]: [2014/07/25 06:49:57.560123, 0] ../source3/smbd/negprot.c:673(reply_negprot)
smbd[7182]: No protocol supported !

Not much additional info, but it gives a "negprot". I tried googling this, and saw some people have had problems with different charsets for international users. But that doesn't apply in my case. I tried changing charset anyway from default UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1. No go.

All my windows devices connect just fine. It's just my android smart phone and tablet that are being finnicky.

Any other ideas? Thanks for the suggestion so far.

Hisma

Explorer
One of the devices I am using is rooted, the other is not. Some places seem to think that makes a difference, but I believe it doesn't.

Hisma

Explorer
maybe it is a problem with max version? Max version I can choose is SMB3. What about newer versions of SMB3, like SMB3.4? Doesn't the newest version of freenas support the most current version of SAMBA?

I tried to connect to a regular windows PC with my android device and it worked fine. The problem seems to be isolated to connecting to my freenas server.

From the client side, it gives the error "cannot find server", so it's as though it's not even trying to connect. But I do obviously see the request on the server end, because it gives me that "no protocol supported!" error.

I am beginning to think it may be the SAMBA version, but if this was a wide-spread issue others would have reported it by now.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
To clarify a bit more. SMB2 was introduced with Windows Vista and on the open source side with Samba 3.6. SMB3 was introduced with Windows 8 and on the open source side with Samba 4.1. However, smbclient defaults to SMB1 see here for more information regarding these decisions. Note that under your current setup even a Windows XP machine wouldn't be able to connect to your samba server.

Hisma

Explorer
It worked! Setting min protocol to CORE fixed it. I can now make client shares with Android.

Thanks anodos.

indy

Patron
Set your min protocol to core.
I was getting similar errors and bad performance browsing larger directories.
Fixed both, thank you :)

Thomymaster

Contributor
Thanks for this explanation, i hit this issue 5 minutes agon when trying to make an image with CloneZilla (most recent version) as well as Acronis BackupAdvanced (11.5) LiveCD

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Setting min protocol to core was a troubleshooting step. You should test and set it to the an appropriate level (i.e. the highest level supported by your clients, up to SMB2). In other words, start with 'core' and then move up until stuff starts breaking.

As the SMB protocol evolved, new speed and security features were introduced. You want to set up your network so that your clients are taking full advantage of those features. For more information regarding SMB protocols and features see this technet post: http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/...mb-2-1-smb-3-0-or-smb-3-02-you-are-using.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.