Operational System not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivy

Cadet
Hello - I am trying to install the lastest freenas on a windows 7 laptop (Dell Inspiron). I've burned the iso to a cd then installed on an 8gb usb drive. Everytime I try to boot I get a black screen with just "Operational system not available. Any help much appreciated.

The laptop is 64bit, 6gb ram with a 1TB hybrid hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

enemy85

Guru
You know that if you try to use freenas with your windows 7 hd you are gonna lose all the data on it? Read the documentation, guides and forum stickies before doing anything else!!!

Rivy

Cadet
Lol marbus

Yeah I know i will lose data, I want to dedicate the laptop as a NAS if that is possible. I dont have the money right now to go out and buy a traditional NAS so I am experimenting on an old laptop. Anyway, I tried reinstalling feenas on my thumb drive many times but I always get the same outcome when trying to boot. I am thinking since the laptop is only 6gb Ram might be the problem, documentation says its requires 8gb.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
6gb of ram won't prevent it from booting. That message is from your computer not the OS.

Sounds like it isn't booting from the USB properly or you have a misconfigured USB

gpsguy

Did you change the boot settings in the BIOS to tell it to try booting from USB before trying to boot from the hard disk? If not, please do that.

Sent from my phone

Rivy

Cadet
Yes, I did that right away. Does the format of the usb drive matter when writing freenas to it?

marbus90

Guru
Lol marbus

Yeah I know i will lose data, I want to dedicate the laptop as a NAS if that is possible. I dont have the money right now to go out and buy a traditional NAS so I am experimenting on an old laptop. Anyway, I tried reinstalling feenas on my thumb drive many times but I always get the same outcome when trying to boot. I am thinking since the laptop is only 6gb Ram might be the problem, documentation says its requires 8gb.
Don't use ZFS. FreeNAS only supports ZFS.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sir, put the FreeNAS down.

Put it down before someone gets hurt.

Rivy

Cadet
I guess thats some kind of code for your community. Anyway I'm still in the dark, I'm guessing it has something to do with my bios but who knows. Ive tried two different flash drives, reinstalled freenas with a CD, DVD, and a flash drive countless times on each of the drives as well

marbus90

Guru
That's our code for "you didn't read any documentation or manuals and want to expose your data to a bigger risk than a Windows NTFS share. Put the FreeNAS down before someone (including you) gets hurt (by the data loss).".

We won't support you since you would just commit data suicide.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What our German friend marbus means to say, sir, is that under the conditions you have set up, you are destined for failure, no matter what we do. FreeNAS was not designed to play nice with your setup. In fact, it stands a good chance of harming your data, and plaguing you with issues that cannot be resolved.

FreeNAS is intended for purpose-built, server grade, hardware. It does not act nice with random laptops, or $50 motherboards that are "awesome elite low power rigs", or any of the other crap we hear about.

believe it or not, we're trying to help you.

Rivy

Cadet
Sounds like the best answer to me.. thanks DrKK. Ill play around with windows home server. Even though I hate giving up on troubleshooting.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Unfortunately, sir, the goal of FreeNAS is not to work on every computer.

The goal of FreeNAS is to work on the *RIGHT* computers/platforms. Results are variegated, and often, unsatisfactory with non-server-grade stuff people have laying around.

Windows home server, though, is a more universal choice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.