OpenVPN to access local resource names

Jussi

Dabbler
Accessing local resource names with OpenVPN seems to challenging. I use the VPN in practice only with Windows devices. The problem is that VPN clients are typically in different subset from the local resources. I have managed to configure OpenVPN to work in tap bridge mode, which assigns the VPN client to the same subnet with the local resources.

For some reason I cannot get the tap mode working in TrueNAS 12.

OpenVPN in TrueNAS host service does not seem to work with OpenVPN community client at all. Looks like the firewall does not allow the authentication to complete. Client connection succeeds if the client is in the same local network. OpenVPN Connect client does not support tap mode at all. I do not have any idea what to try next with the service.

Another approach is to build an Iocage jail. OpenVPN works fine in tun mode. End result is pretty much the same as with the host service. VPN clients are in different subnet from the local resources. However, I cannot get tap bridge mode working, because I cannot create tap device in the Iocage jail. Worked fine in Warden jail but not in Iocage jail. I have asked for help with this but cannot get forward.

I cannot get name resolving to work when the subnetworks are different. This seems to be a known problem. I have found two solutions for linux clients. One solution is based on resolvconf and the other needs pfsense.

I would appreciate any help.