Openvpn and devfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieeps

Dabbler
So i'w been trying to get openvpn to run in a iocage jail, problem seem to be that the tun0 file is created in the host /dev folder...

I'w done some reading in to this devfs and it's .rules file but can't get the /dev folder to mount in the jail.

Is there anyone here who have better knowledge about this?

I'w seen many how-to's and guides on how to get openvpn running in a jail but none of them seem to run in to this problem, maby they are based on warden jails?

Anyway... I even tried to symlink the tun in to the jail but turns out the system is smarter then me since it's also hidden.

Any help would be of great help here.

m0nkey_

MVP
Try setting the allow_mount_devfs and mount_devfs.
Code:
# iocage set allow_mount_devfs=1 jailname
# iocage set mount_devfs=1 jailname

Kieeps

Dabbler
nope, nothing different.
I think it has something to do with the .rules file, how do i add a rule to just unhide tun0 for example?

rmccullough

Patron
@m0nkey_ do you know if the steps you have provided here work with 11.2 RC1?

I know the recommendation is to wait for the next RC or the release of 11.2, but this is preventing me from running my OpenVPN server. I would like to get this working again. I also am not brave enough to try running the pull request as specified here: https://ftp.freenas.org/issues/40872#note-44

m0nkey_

MVP
@m0nkey_ do you know if the steps you have provided here work with 11.2 RC1?

I know the recommendation is to wait for the next RC or the release of 11.2, but this is preventing me from running my OpenVPN server. I would like to get this working again. I also am not brave enough to try running the pull request as specified here: https://ftp.freenas.org/issues/40872#note-44
VNET should allow you to run OpenVPN server. OpenVPN doesn't require devfs to work, just it's own networking stack which VNET provides.

rmccullough

Patron
m0nkey_ I am pretty sure I have it configured that way:
D1F9F7CF-A44F-4C10-B58F-3EA5099410E2.jpeg

However I am getting the issue where the tun interface cannot be accessed/initialized, and my understanding is this is because the devfs is not being mounted properly in iocage jails starting in 11.2 Beta3 or RC1.

rmccullough

Patron
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.