OpenStack Manila driver(Shared file service) for FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agatti Labs

Cadet
Hello,

We have developed OpenStack Manila driver for FreeNAS.
Here is the github link for the same-

https://github.com/AgattiLabs/freenasmanila

We have tested this Manila driver successfully on-
FreeNAS server version 11.0-U2
OpenStack version Ocata

The README file there explains how to use this Manila driver with FreeNAS.

You can see information about OpenStack manila at: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Manila

Looking forward for your feedback and suggestions.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Seems like a bit of a waste in FreeNAS. Would be better suited for upstream FreeBSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This definitely has no place in the Corral section, moving it elsewhere.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sorry, I didn't get what exactly you wanted to indicate here, could you please elaborate? Thanks.
FreeNAS is not a upstream project. It gets everything from FreeBSD. So building something for FreeNAS will eventually die but if you put it in FreeBSD it will more likely be used and maintained.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So building something for FreeNAS will eventually die but if you put it in FreeBSD it will not likely be used and maintained.
You mean will be used and maintained, right? Though "has a greater chance" is a better description.

Agatti Labs

Cadet
FreeNAS is not a upstream project. It gets everything from FreeBSD. So building something for FreeNAS will eventually die but if you put it in FreeBSD it will more likely be used and maintained.

Thank you for elaborating.
The implementation of this Manila driver use FreeNAS REST API calls.
I don't see those REST API's available in upstream FreeBSD. In order to support upstream FreeBSD we need to find out available alternatives like RPC/CLI for those REST API's.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ahh I see, so you made a wrapper around the FreeNAS api that does some configuration for whatever thing you want to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

konetzed

Dabbler
Agatti Labs I see the code repo was removed is there any chance of getting the code and resurrecting the driver?

Beholder101

Dabbler
I'll support konetzed request: Could you please share the code again? I would love to test it in my Openstack test setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.