OneDrive integration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oded

Explorer
microsoft just announced that Office 365 users (around 60$ per year) will get unlimited OneDrive storage. Not 1tb, not 2tb, truly unlimited.

To me, this makes OneDrive the ultimate offsite backup.

How hard is it to add a OneDrive plugin to FreeNAS? Do we have to get support from Microsoft?

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
Imagine that you have a 10TB FreeNAS box going down with your only backup on OneDrive.....
It will take months to restore it. Its a bad idea. I made some tests with Google drive, they are offering similar "storage" plans, but its just too darn slow to be usefull in an NAS environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oded

Explorer
I didn't see anything close to 10tb for 60$. If it exists that's great.

Anyway. That would be the catastrophic scenario backup. I already have my own offsite backup.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If Microsoft opens up the necessary APIs (they seem to be doing this kind of thing for Office 365), it should be relatively easy.

It would be a nice solution, at least for the most critical of data. Whole-server backup, maybe not so much.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I'd rather have 10tb of data on a server that would take months to retrieve, over 10tb of data that doesn't exist. Just sayin.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'd rather have 10tb of data on a server that would take months to retrieve, over 10tb of data that doesn't exist. Just sayin.
The problem lies in his much throttling happens with uploads and how quickly server content changes. If there were a way to seed onedrive, it would be a bit better. I'd also be a bit concerned about privacy. It's also hard to beat just doing cold storage of disks or tapes off site. All that being said, I use cloud backup with smallish datasets that need to have hourly offsite backups. My feeling on backups is 'the more the merrier' as long as they actually work.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Now you do have a point about privacy. Microsoft does have a quite chummy relationship with big brother, don't they.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
One additional wrinkle for OneDrive integration is that kernel change notification is disabled in Samba. This means that changes made in OneDrive won't be propagated to CIFS shares. Enabling kernel change notification is currently not possible (it turns smbd into a ravenous zombie horde that will consume all your server's resources and cause FreeNAS to bug out).

Oded

Explorer
Just as a side note, since posting this Amazon also announced unlimited cloud storage for prime members, but only for photos.

Frankly, that's the most important and biggest backups I have - with a nikon d800e like mine, each raw image is around 50mb (yes, it's been confirmed that raw files are also included in the unlimited plan).

Not sure if they have an API though. Amazon SHOULD be the king of web services, no?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just as a side note, since posting this Amazon also announced unlimited cloud storage for prime members, but only for photos.

Frankly, that's the most important and biggest backups I have - with a nikon d800e like mine, each raw image is around 50mb (yes, it's been confirmed that raw files are also included in the unlimited plan).

Not sure if they have an API though. Amazon SHOULD be the king of web services, no?

It's probably a tie between Amazon and Microsoft (and Google, where it applies).

Oded

Explorer
Maybe, except and I, like a lot of people, already pay for prime. So this like a free bonus feature for me :).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Maybe, except and I, like a lot of people, already pay for prime. So this like a free bonus feature for me :).

Similarly, I and a lot of other people are paying for Office, so the 1TB (or unlimited) storage is like a free bonus feature.

NiKiLLst

Dabbler
Hi all, sorry to bump this old thread.

Did anyone tried Onedrive sync in the end?
Is it implemented in FreeNas ATM?

Thank you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.