SOLVED One volume=1.5tb+4tb disk(striped)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

So a couple of months ago I've plugged some disks in an old case I had, never thinking I would make it a permanent storage solution. The NAS was actually made as a backup from my desktop pc..which has failed a few times by now, leaving the nas data be the only data of the important stuff I own.

disk 1(ada0)= A basic 1.5 tb disk suitable for the normal desktop.

disk 2(ada1)= A wd red 4 tb network disk

As I'm getting scared to lose data someday, I would really like to exclude the 1.5tb disk from the volume.

Total space used of the 5.5tb = 1.9tb, so I would like to:
[OPTION A]
Move everything to the 4tb disk. Only problem is that I have no idea what data is stored on which disk...since both form one "big" volume. Was trying to act clever and use the "ls" command but of course that shows my volume1..and not the 2 mentioned disks

[OPTION B]
If there is no way to do so, I was thinking of:
1. getting another wd red 4 tb disk and put it in the server
2. make another volume containing only that disk
3. copy everything from volume 1 to the new volume
4. detach+format volume 1
5. remove the 1.5 tb disk from server
6. make the 2 volumes into 1 raid
All without losing data of course.

Of course I hope there is a way to go for option A for now

Any help would be much appreciated!

ps: None of my other computers in the network has enough disk space to temporary backup the nas data to.

Last edited:

Neil Whitworth

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

So a couple of months ago I've plugged some disks in an old case I had, never thinking I would make it a permanent storage solution. The NAS was actually made as a backup from my desktop pc..which has failed a few times by now, leaving the nas data be the only data of the important stuff I own.

What is the hardware you are using. Does it meet the FreeNAS miniumum (8Gb RAM)?

Have you read cyberjock's guide?

[OPTION A]
Move everything to the 4tb disk. Only problem is that I have no idea what data is stored on which disk...since both form one "big" volume. Was trying to act clever and use the "ls" command but of course that shows my volume1..and not the 2 mentioned disks
This is NOT posible. Once a vdev is added to the pool it can not be removed.
if ANY drive fails you will loose the entire pool.

[OPTION B]
If there is no way to do so, I was thinking of:
1. getting another wd red 4 tb disk and put it in the server
2. make another volume containing only that disk
3. copy everything from volume 1 to the new volume
4. detach+format volume 1
5. remove the 1.5 tb disk from server
6. make the 2 volumes into 1 raid
This is posible, but I would get 2 new hdds - that way you can create a mirror to copy your data too. This is by far the simplest way to get a redundant pool.

It is posible to do this with a single new drive, and once yor data is moved to the new pool, add your old 4Tb as a mirror, but it is not simple.

1.What is the hardware you are using. Does it meet the FreeNAS miniumum (8Gb RAM)?

2.Have you read cyberjock's guide?

3.This is NOT posible. Once a vdev is added to the pool it can not be removed.
if ANY drive fails you will loose the entire pool.

4.This is posible, but I would get 2 new hdds - that way you can create a mirror to copy your data too. This is by far the simplest way to get a redundant pool.

It is posible to do this with a single new drive, and once yor data is moved to the new pool, add your old 4Tb as a mirror, but it is not simple.
1. Only 3gb..with no issues thus far. Will increase it once I have more storage though

2. Will do!

3. Thought so...too bad

4. I thought it would be just a matter of just increasing the new disk pool with the older identical disk and choosing the raid option.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
I wish we had a .gif or something, with a guy sayign: "PUT THE FREENAS DOWN SIR BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT"

You have already proven that data integrity isn't your point. Then why use ZFS with all the overhead and "excessive requirements" like ECC RAM.

danb35

Hall of Famer
4. I thought it would be just a matter of just increasing the new disk pool with the older identical disk and choosing the raid option.
FreeNAS 9.2 does not support turning a single-disk zpool into a mirror from the web GUI. It can be done at the command line, but it's tricky. I understand 9.3 will support this from the GUI, though I haven't worked with it myself.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS 9.2 does not support turning a single-disk zpool into a mirror from the web GUI. It can be done at the command line, but it's tricky. I understand 9.3 will support this from the GUI, though I haven't worked with it myself.
I believe that was pushed back to 10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.