On backups...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogo

Cadet
I have a couple of datasets that I plan to backup to an external drive(s) so I can store them offsite. From what I've found searching around here, it looks like I need to attach the device, create a zpool, then manually (cli) do a zfs send, then detach the external drive (via gui?). When I'm going to do the next backup, attach the drive, import the zpool (import via gui or cli?), perform another backup/zfs send, then detach again.

This is been my current process (OpenIndiana server), and it's on a USB drive. The lack of SMART monitoring always bothered me, so I scrub the zpool before running the backup. Moving forward, I'm thinking I'll either go eSATA so SMART works, or start cycling through a couple different external drives so I've got multiple backups.

What is everyone else doing when it comes to off-site? Or do they just roll the dice on replicating to another device/pool onsite?

Thanks.

Whattteva

Wizard
You can always do it through ssh+rsync so you don't have to worry about attach/detach headache and just do the backups remotely.
I think FreeNAS even has a built-in tool in the GUI that allows you to regularly schedule all those backups at whatever interval you want.

Drogo

Cadet
Is that how you're doing it? So then you have 2 FreeNAS systems, correct?

Thanks.

Whattteva

Wizard
The other system can be anything you want. It could even be a windows box using NTFS.
The only requirement you need to fulfill is that it runs an SSH daemon and an Rsync daemon.

Drogo

Cadet
Oh ok. Got it.

But I'd like to have ZFS where ever possible, so short of standing up another box, I'd probably just keep using a removable device. Is eSATA hot pluggable on FreeNAS?

Whattteva

Wizard
Oh ok. Got it.

But I'd like to have ZFS where ever possible, so short of standing up another box, I'd probably just keep using a removable device. Is eSATA hot pluggable on FreeNAS?

Nothing wrong with that. As I've already stated, the other system can be anything you want. That "anything" of course includes FreeNAS and ZFS as well....

My mentioning of Windows with NTFS only serves to emphasize that it can be whatever you want.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh ok. Got it.

eSATA is just SATA, which should be hot-pluggable, but be sure to test before putting the setup in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.