Older processors still a good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niobium615

Cadet
I've been looking to build a relatively modest NAS, mainly for regular backups at the moment, but I might look into setting it up to run a Plex server as well in the future. I definitely want to use ECC RAM after reading some of the other threads on this forum, but the newer server motherboards which support it seem to be rather expensive. I found a SuperMicro
MBD-X9SCL-F on eBay for ~$50, quite a bit less than the equivalent LGA1150 or LGA1151 boards. My plan is to put in an Ivy Bridge pentium such as the G2130 to begin with and, if I need more power in the future, swapping that with a Xeon E3-1230v2. Are there any significant drawbacks(other than power consumption) to going with this slightly older solution that would make spending the extra money(at least another $200 between CPU and motherboard) for a Haswell or Skylake platform worth it?

Planned Build

CPU: Intel Pentium G2130
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X9SCL-F
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3 ECC UDIMMS
Hard Drives: 4x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives(RAID 10)
PSU: EVGA 750GQ(I know it's massive overkill, but I got a good price on it and I should be able to run it fanless under most load scenarios)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, that's fine.

J

jkh

CPU: Intel Pentium G2130
Anything which doesn't support VT-x + EPT virtualization will eventually make you sad, but since that CPU does, you should be in good shape (just responding to the general question of "Older processors still a good choice?" rather than your specific build).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Anything which doesn't support VT-x + EPT virtualization will eventually make you sad, but since that CPU does, you should be in good shape (just responding to the general question of "Older processors still a good choice?" rather than your specific build).
Fortunately, the vast majority of processors that are still relevant support VT-x with EPT (I think there are some weird Xeon E5 models that don't).

Of course, I did not crawl through ark.intel.com to enumerate any that don't - it's just too much work. Should somebody find any such models, bring it to my attention and I'll make note of that in the hardware recommendations guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.