Offsite Backup of >50TB - Ideas?

hidavid

Cadet
Hello Everyone,
Currently running a Truenas Supermicro Fileserver running a nightly backup to a QNAP NAS in the office. Internet speed and the possibiliy to put the backup NAS offsite are limited so I'm looking into a neat, clean and simple way of doing a third backup in regular time intervals in case of disaster.

We're already doing harddisk offloads but only via manual copying with teracopy.

Can anyone point me in a more automated direction where we can schedule the offload and automatically split it over multiple disks? Tape seems too expensive still as we only add ~8TB per year of data.

Thank you

Supose

Dabbler
Even with limited Internet speed I found TrueNAS ZFS snapshot/replication to be reliable and fast (because block level).

Dice

Wizard
What about cloud?
I've a setup where I run a "Cloud Sync Task" to backblaze, with encryption. All setup in the TrueNAS GUI.
It basically syncs a dataset, encrypts it on the fly, and stores it AFK.
I run the job every midnight.

I treat this backup as "final tier" that I never expect to download from.
Ie, I keep versioning of the latest weeks/days etc of snapshots locally on the TN box.
But the most current version, is sent off to the cloud.

If you choose this route, be careful on the "sync/Pull/Push" modes in the setup. It is completely possible to do one misclick and wipe a dataset locally. Fortunately that isnt an issue, as we are all running regular snapshots ;)

hidavid

Cadet
Thank you both for your suggestions!
I might have not been clear enough abot our setting: we're already running a full nightly backup. I'm looking into a method of streamlining the 3rd backup that goes to a physical storage device like tape or hdds.

Dice

Wizard
Well then you have the goto solution in the post #2.

Jessep

Patron
I would suggest you ether look into WORM cloud or offline tape. Third/forth tier is really DR not backup.

My standard would be:
Live Production->Snapshots->Backup->Offsite Backup Copy->Offline Backup (TAPE or WORM cloud)

With variations like live VM replication etc.