recommended method for offsite backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

odoyle

Explorer
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do offsite backup of my entire zpool volume without creating another freenas system. Is rsync the approach? I'm reading the replication section of the manual, and it seems to only apply to two system via ssh but I really can't figure out what push and pull mean. Is there a way to plug in a usb drive and replicate the zpool, and then take the drive offsite? What about this method with crashplan? http://tentenstudios.com/blog/redundant-backup-and-offsite-replication-freenas-and-crashplan
Or doing something like zfs send via command line?
How do I create a zfs pool on the backup drive?
Sorry for all the noob questions, but I can't find a good guide for this..

Thanks!

odoyle

Explorer
So I actually just plugged the drive in directly via SATA cable, created a new zpool on it, copied the ssh key using the little button that appears when a new replication task with a localhost.. and let it run. Seems to work..

Herman Eggink

Explorer
do you know whether you can import that disk on another machine? I am looking for a way to create an offline backup in case the house burns down, things get stolen and so on.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
do you know whether you can import that disk on another machine? I am looking for a way to create an offline backup in case the house burns down, things get stolen and so on.

You can.

Herman Eggink

Explorer
Yay! mega. Thx again!

msbxa

Contributor
I am looking for the same solution, Which solution did you end up with?

FYI, I am running FreeNAS 9.3 Stable

Herman Eggink

Explorer
Crashplan is what works really well for me. I have a 3TB backup disk formatted zfs. That gets put into one of those esata docks that is connected thru a pcie esata adapter (conceptronics I believe) and mounted on the crashplan jail when I start the jail. There is a simple way to edit a crashplan config file so that it doesn't just listen on localhost but listens on all interfaces. That makes it accessible from any client on my network (windows, linux) so I can monitor progress. As soon as it's done, I stop crashplan, and tge jail, unmount the volume and eject the disk for offsite storage. Simple and sweet.

Herman Eggink

Explorer
On the crashplan config:
edit /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
Within this file, change the from "127.0.0.1" to "0.0.0.0". Save, and then restart the Crashplan service"
No ssh tunneling required to redirect 4243 to 4200. Just change the IP address for the client to direct to your jail and leave the port what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.