SOLVED HELP! - Replication to additional Drive(s) to be taken Offsite

Redcoat

MVP
That seems like a logical test path.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Well, both Offsite tasks are still not working. They just sit there. Another thing I noticed, my periodic snapshot decides to run 7 hrs after it is set to. The snapshot task is setup as follows:

Pool\Dataset: MainVault
-Recursive
Snapshot Lifetime: 1 Year
Begin: 00:00:00
End 00:30:00
Interval: 1 day
Day of week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
-Enabled

Yet when I check on the snapshots that have been created, the snapshot created time is (Tue Jun 4 7:00 2019) for today's snapshot in every dataset.

Not sure if this is related to the replication issue, but I thought snapshots were immediate?

Attachments

• 5pm snapshots.PNG
    5pm snapshots.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 287
  • Periodic Snapshot Task 1200 to 1230.PNG
    Periodic Snapshot Task 1200 to 1230.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 283

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
As far as my snapshots and replication tasks go, am I supposed to set them up with specific timing to get all 3 of these replication task to go to their respective devices? (Onsite, OffsiteA, and OffsiteB)

Redcoat

MVP
As far as my snapshots and replication tasks go, am I supposed to set them up with specific timing to get all 3 of these replication task to go to their respective devices? (Onsite, OffsiteA, and OffsiteB)

I wish I knew the answer to this question, too. I'm stuck for time right now but I hope to find some to set up a test in the near future. I have done some reading but it's left me uncertain how to select/use Begin, End and Interval and what to expect.
My current single daily snapshot and replication to a backup machine "just works" and reports as if it runs in the time period that I entered. But I did have trouble resetting it up after a motherboard replacement when I got no error messages at all but snapshots were not created. I concluded that it was a keys issue but I was never really sure - it began to work as expected and I didn't do any more investigation...

Last edited:

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
I wish I knew the answer to this question, too. I'm stuck for time right now but I hope to find some to set up a test in the near future. I have done some reading but it's left me uncertain how to select/use Begin, End and Interval and what to expect.
My current single daily snapshot and replication to a backup machine "just works" and reports as if it runs in the time period that I entered. But I did have trouble resetting it up after a motherboard replacement when I got no error messages at all but snapshots were not created. I concluded that it was a keys issue but I was never really sure - it began to work as expected and I didn't do any more investigation...

I appreciate your help so far. Trust me I understand not having time. I want to get this setup so I can start using it 100% and not worrying about it. I temporarily did a zfs send on the latest snapshot task to one of my offsite drives as it was making me nervous. Hopefully someone here can help. In the mean time, I've been researching and testing trying to make it work.

BTW, I'm sure there are many in agreement, there definately should be local replication options in the replication tasks. Setting it up to run over ssh to localhost is a joke really. On my limited budget of "nothing", local replication over ssh to an encrypted drive on a box that doesn't have aes-ni support is literally hot garbage.

Love the potential of FreeNAS, but the implementation leaves me wanting.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Almost 500 people have seen this thread... yet we aren't getting anywhere. Please help if you can. I just want to get this setup and be done with it.

File a bug report, then a iX staff member will look at it and tell us if we are doing something totally wrong or it is a bug.

hmm interesting, I will certainly be updating to 11.2u5 it would be nice to know when I've incorrectly configured something.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
hmm interesting, I will certainly be updating to 11.2u5 it would be nice to know when I've incorrectly configured something.

Agreed. Replication is now working to my other local devices. It will be nice in 11.3 when they introduce local replication without needing to run through SSH.