OEM-sold SATA controller, can I still use the original IT firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bohs Hansen

Hi

got a new sata controller yesterday LSI Logic SAS3041E-HP, so HP branded. Can i still just use the IT firmware i can find at http://www.lsi.com/support/products/Pages/LSI SAS 3041E-R.aspx under firmware and then SAS3041ER_Package_P21_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows or do I need something else?
First time for me flashing a sata controller and dont want to mess it up :)

Milhouse

Guru
Probably, as long as HP didn't use any modified vendor firmware to prevent change of purpose (IR to IT).

I'm not familiar with your controller, but I have reflashed the LSI 9211-8i and the flashing utility has advanced options to get around such vendor annoyances. It's a pretty straight forward process, create a DOS boot disk/memory stick (may need HIMEM), and there may even be a PDF manual/guide for your flashing utility (there is for the 9211-8i).

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Bohs Hansen,

Yes, you can flash that card with firmware direct from LSI...that's what I did with my SAS3041E!

-Will

B

Bohs Hansen

Thanks a bunch for your replies. This controller will make my little box into a 8bay now (with slight modding) :)

Bibi40k

Contributor
Hi,
i'm going to buy tomorrow an HP-SAS3041E-R.
Is it still working on FreeNAS 11 ?
lsi.com became broadcom.com and i don't find firmware. Do you know where can i get a good one ?

Thanks

Arwen

MVP
Hi,
i'm going to buy tomorrow an HP-SAS3041E-R.
Is it still working on FreeNAS 11 ?
lsi.com became broadcom.com and i don't find firmware. Do you know where can i get a good one ?

Thanks
That card likely will have issues. It's very old, (as was this thread). In general you want to avoid first generation SAS devices: controllers, expanders, back planes and disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.