Odd Storage issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

teztaz

Dabbler
So let me start by saying I am very new to FreeNAS about 2 weeks now. This is my test box and I have been creating and updating stuff and found many ways to trip me up BUT I have been able to figure it out until now...
So here it goes:
I create two Volumes (iocage & Media-01) used those for a little while trying things once I figured out the how to do what I wanted I deleted those two volumes and created the new volumes that I am going to use on my final FreeNAS server. All is good I can and did delete the jail linking, shares, the jails, then the volumes all good in the storage view. Now when I go to add a new jail and add storage to that jail I see the two deleted volumes. I go back and check and they are not in the volumes view I reboot, Shutdown remove drives, remove memory, re-insert drives (same SN to the same location) power on still no issues in the volumes tab only when assigning to the new jails.

I have included my FreeNAS details and screenshots below looking forward to figuring this out well having someone help me as I have googled, binged, searched forms and even wasted two hours on youtube my fault got distracted...

FreeNAS Details:
Build FreeNAS-11.1-U4
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz
Memory 32697MB

Volumes Tab:
upload_2018-3-28_0-33-38.png

Add Jail Storage View:
upload_2018-3-28_0-34-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-28_0-33-45.png
    upload_2018-3-28_0-33-45.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 257
Last edited by a moderator:

garm

Wizard
Aren’t those just empty folders remaining after you deleted your pools? Pools are mounted in normal folders under /mnt

teztaz

Dabbler
Aren’t those just empty folders remaining after you deleted your pools? Pools are mounted in normal folders under /mnt
You are correct and I just shelled into the main system and went to the mnt and did a rm -r Media-01 and rm -r iocage and that fixed it. I just find it odd that deleting the entire volume did not remove the directories with in the volume. Just the shell of the folder were there NO sub-folders or content was there just the root folder.

BUT Thanks that was driving me nuts.

garm

Wizard
A ZFS pool is an equivalent to a hard drive for FreeBSD. Such storage devices have to be mounted somewhere in BSD and *nix, “somewhere” in this context is folders. It’s not treated as disks are in Windows and its predecessors.

In your case the pool is removed, but not the folder in the overlying filesystem. I would also assume that the folder would be automatically removed by the GUI (never actually destroyed a pool), I would not expect that it would be removed if you manage ZFS by cli in FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.