Odd 2FA TOTP issue

John45622

Contributor
Hi,

I'm having a strange but concerning problem when logging in as root via the GUI. I have 2FA setup which has been working fine for weeks. I noticed when the server is very busy I can not login and get a couple of PW or TOTP wrong messages. Often I have to try 3-4 times until TN (12.0 U3)) lets me in. I'm using a pw manager so typos are ruled out.
My first guess was time not matching up between my remote machine and the server but my backup TOTP app on my phone is 100% in sync with my laptop and the server is getting NTP from the same pfsense firewall just like my phone and the laptop. When I log into the IPMI of the TN server the clock is 100% sync with my phone and my laptop the time mismatch seems unlikely.

Today it won't let me in at all, which happened before and then the next day it would work again.

Slightly concerning and now I want to turn off 2FA as it seems it's unreliable.

Has anyone seen this as well?

Thanks!

Last edited:

speedtriple

Explorer
I see this everyday after enableing 2FA.
I also suspect it is when the TrueNAS is busy with something, that I can not log in, just getting the "error on user, pwd or 2FA" message.
When this happens I can not login, or use SMB-folders from laptop, but the Syncthing-console is accessible on TrueNAS.

I am about to remove the Syncthing-plugin, maybe this causes the TrueNAS to not be unnecessary busy and be more stable with 2FA logins?