nvme / pcie suppport on X10DRH-iT

wdp

Explorer
I have a Super X10DRH-iT in my system and I am trying to figure out if I can introduce a cache layer using a pcie/m2 adapter so I can utilize all 12 bays in the chassis with spinning platters.

But not being a server wizard, it's pretty overwhelming trying to track this info down in Supermicro's documentation and support.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm not looking to boot of it. But the manual is vague and does say bifuraction is supported on several PCI slots.

dxun

Explorer
Hey, wdp - I assume you've gotten the answer in the meantime? I've gone through a fairly lengthy configuration of such a system myself and was wondering where you landed....

nabsltd

Contributor
But not being a server wizard, it's pretty overwhelming trying to track this info down in Supermicro's documentation and support.
If you have the motherboard in your possession, it's easy to figure out...just boot into the BIOS setup and go to the PCIe slot configuration and see if you can set bifurcation. If not, check to see if you have the latest BIOS revision, and upgrade if you don't. Then, check again. Almost all the X9 boards support bifurcation, as well as the X11 and beyond, so I would think the X10 boards would as well.

Also, if you have an open x4 slot, you can always use a board that supports only one M.2 NVMe slot, or any add-in-card version of an NVMe SSD, like the Intel P3600 or P3700 series.

wdp

Explorer
Yeah, once you get into the Bios you can see. It was indeed possible but I didn't end up using a caching layer at all. And the nvme PCIE card kicked back temp errors fairly frequently and I just didn't feel like dealing with it for what felt like no real world advantage. Adding more RAM is was a better investment.

Dave Hob

Contributor
How do you like this motherboard? I am looking for something similar. Have 2 x E5 2690 V3 cpus and plenty of memory so was looking for a board to build a new system. Can you use the sata ports directly out of the box? Is the Intel® C612 controller getting in the way at all?

wdp

Explorer
How do you like this motherboard? I am looking for something similar. Have 2 x E5 2690 V3 cpus and plenty of memory so was looking for a board to build a new system. Can you use the sata ports directly out of the box? Is the Intel® C612 controller getting in the way at all?

I upgraded to 2690 v4's during some maintenance/troubleshooting the other day. I had to replace the first motherboard after a year, but it was heavily used when I installed it. Ran on 2600 v3s for many years.

It's fine, no real frills as far as a board goes. ECC support and a relatively capable processor scenario. I chose it for on-board 10gbe mostly. Sometimes I see them for $200, other times I see them for $800.