gpu + supermicro board pcie slot issue?

phier

Patron
hello,
i am running xeon which doesnt have ffmpeg hw acceleration .. I was wondering if its possible to use card / gpu below which spec says pcie 3.0x16 with supermicroboard as below
PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16 slot),

PCI-E 3.0 x 16

also does it make a sense to use such a card for ffmpg hw acceleration?

Thanks!@

NugentS

MVP
You can use a x16 card in a x8 slot, providing you can physically fit it (which in this case you can) - it will still work

As to whether its sensible - that depends, are you using windows, linux, freebsd, Apple OS, DOS, CPM, or perhaps even Z/OS?
Its probable that you are using some varient of FreeNAS/TrueNAS - but the answer depends on your specific setup which you haven't posted as per forum rules

phier

Patron
@nugets got your point; using ESXi and i wanted to use gpu in linux (ubuntu) and on top of it use plex and ffpmg hw acceleration for frigate.

I saw that nvidia is hard to manage under ESXi - linux, not sure .. also still fighting what model to use as i need a low profile card; ~<150euro.

thx

NugentS

MVP
Well (and I am not an expert here). ESXi supports handing a GPU over to a guest and is I believe one of the better hypervisors for getting that right (not that I have ever tried, so this is not first hand info). You should be able to pass a GPU through to a VM, in which case the rest shoud be easy. I would add (again, take this with a pinch of salt (a large pinch)) I thought you would need a 10 Series or better Nvidia to get good transcoding - but most of my info comes with Plex being in the middle - so frigate may have different requirements. Just something to consider and reject if I am wrong.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler