NVMe...4K?

kspare

Guru
We primarily use P3700 nvme cards in our storage servers. I've been trying to get a grasp on the reason to do this. It's popped up again now that we're experimenting with meta drives as well.

I'm happy to do some testing for the community if I can get some ideas on how to actually test the effectivness of running all 4k, or maybe a combination of 4k and 512?

I generally run 2 400gb p3700 OP to 100gb for SLOG, 2 800gb P3700 OP to 400gb for Meta, and 1 2TB P3700 for L2Arc.

I only use freenas for an NFS 3 store for my vmware cloud.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The logic behind it is that since you're never going to be writing a block smaller than 4K (your ashift size) you might as well have the drive optimize itself to represent that as "single 4K write" versus "eight 512b writes" - there's potential improvement by reducing the number of back-end I/Os hitting the vdevs.

kspare

Guru
Is there anything to consider with the actual pool itself or leave it to the default of 128k?

What you say makes sense, I guess I just need to give it a try.

kspare

Guru
I'll pull all the nvme drives and format them as 4k, when I recreate the pool are there some special steps to take there as well?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'll pull all the nvme drives and format them as 4k, when I recreate the pool are there some special steps to take there as well?
Nope. FreeBSD understands 4Kn drives and will handle the intermediate steps for you.

Herr_Merlin

Patron
Plus ashift 12 is default for FreeNAS.. so nothing to change / optimize for the 4K