Nvidia Shield Pro, Truenas Scale server not visible..??

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi Guys,

A quick question here,
I have other servers on my network which all get detected by the Nvidia Shield,
but my Truenas Scale server is not showing up.

On Windows computer and in my network in general the server is there, but not on the Shield.

Is there any settings that I maybe have wrong or not set...??

Any feedback would be great.

ClassicGOD

Contributor
AFAIK by default Android requires SMBv1 support to be enabled.
SMBv1 is considered insecure and deprecated although you can still enable it in SMB service settings. If I recall correctly you can access SMBv2 with additional software.

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi ClassicGOD,

Thanks for your answer.
It helped to enable SMB1, my server now shows up under network storage in the shield, but fails to connect.
"Connection Failed" is the only message i get.

Any idea what more I could try...???

ClassicGOD

Contributor
sorry, no idea. I use Plex, or Kodi to access my media. Plex via Plex Server and Kodi via it's built in SMBv3 support.

try manually entering the connection address using this pastern:
Code:
\\smb;[username]:[password]@[server_ip]\[share_name]

bacardi8

Explorer
Still same " Connection failed" ....Thats strange...

Yes, I do the same with Plex, but still it should be possible to connect I would say.

Hmmm.....I tried out different things, but no luck.

Im running two servers on one account in Plex media server, one is installed on a Synology, and one is installed on my Truenas Scale server.
Both are available in the plex web interface on the same page, you just switch between them, and both have access to my smb shares where i store all media files.

I do similar in Emby with two different servers on one account, but in Emby you need to log in and out of the server you want to use, they are not on the same page like in Plex.
This now means that on my Nvidia Shield I have full access to the Emby server running on my Synology, but if I log out from there and login on
my Truenas Scale server, access is not available, even the Truenas server is visible, so from my point of view, this must be on the Truenas Scale side
that something is blocking, and not on the Nvidia shield side.

From my windows machine I can log in to my Truenas Scale server, I can access both, Plex and Emby from the server, I can edit all kind of files,
all shares are detected and available, but not from the Nvidia Shield.

I hope someone have had similar issues, and has gained some knowledge about that issue.
Right now I'm a kind of lost

Last edited:

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi anodos,

Yes this I have enabled.
Could it be something with permissions or user permissions...??
just strange because all permissions settings seems to work fine with the shares and with the Plex and Emby apps in truenas scale,
My Synology NAS server gets detected by the shield without problems and also my windows computer.
And as I mentioned before, the truenas server also shows up in the shield (thats maybe due to what you mention about the netbios),
but keep on saying "connection failed", also if I try to add the server manually.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi anodos,

Yes this I have enabled.
Could it be something with permissions or user permissions...??
just strange because all permissions settings seems to work fine with the shares and with the Plex and Emby apps in truenas scale,
My Synology NAS server gets detected by the shield without problems and also my windows computer.
And as I mentioned before, the truenas server also shows up in the shield (thats maybe due to what you mention about the netbios),
but keep on saying "connection failed", also if I try to add the server manually.
Try running command midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq and post an entry from where shield is failing.

bacardi8

Explorer
Hope I do this correct,
this is how it looks.

Attachments

• Shell Log.jpg
    Shell Log.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 208

bacardi8

Explorer
Hmmm....okay,
When you say client, then in this case I guess client is my truenas scale server right...???

Would that mean that I have user permissions wrong set at my user account...???,

would it make sense to create a new user on the media dataset, let's say for the shield only,...???

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Client == nvidia shield based on earlier conversation (assuming the IP address that's blanked-out in above log is the nvidia device). It's passing the wrong credentials (something you input into that device).

bacardi8

Explorer
The blanked out local address is the truenas scale server, the blanket out remote address is the Nvidia Shield.

hmmm....maybe from when I tried to manually entering the connection suggested earlier.

But if I let the Nvidia do it automatically it only ask about my server login details, nothing else.

To login to my truenas scale server I use "root" as username and then my password, and these details I also provided the Nvidia,
so maybe that's where the "root" account comes in and also the issue...???

Should these login details in the Nvidia be the ones from the shared drive/folder instead..??
I'm at work right now so I can't try that out right away, I will try it later.

Do you have any other suggestions on what I could try out...???

sretalla