Nvidia GTX1060 install

loki7903

Cadet
Hi

I am new here.
I've been experimenting with FreeNAS for 6 months.
I really like it and it's a super system.

My question is how to install nvidia driver under 11.2?
You found more descriptions on the net.
But unfortunately it failed. What I tried

pkg upgrade
pkg serch nvidia
pkg install nvidia-driver-440.31

But I've tried these of the packages here
nvidia-kernel-libs-340-340107
nvidia-kernel-libs-390-390129

The installer finishes.

Is this solution good?
If this is what you need to do?
The goal would be for emby to use the card for transcoding.

Thanks for the help.

G8One2

Patron
FreeNas does not support video cards or even desktop hardware. Transcoding is done with the systems CPU. You will not find support for video card drivers with FreeNas.

eljefe7070

Cadet
Has the GPU issue improved with TrueNas Core? I've been searching the forums for information about TrueNas Core and utilizing the GPU for transcoding. I haven't found much that relates to my current build.

Here is what I'm working with;

1. Fractal Node 804 Case
2. AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
3. ASROCK Pro4 B550M motherboard
4. 64GB DDR4 3200 ram
5. 512gb m.2 Nvme for OS
6. Six 10tb Seagate IronWolf Nas HDD
7. 750 watt corsair power supply
8. Deep Cool Castle EX 240mm AIO
9. AORUS Gigabyte 1080ti GPU
10. Nine 120mm RGB fans (rgb isn't necessary but I like the look)
11. 140mm fan
12. TrueNas Core OS

I know it's not the typical and most efficient NAS setup, but I really dig it and am starting this new adventure with TrueNas. It's an amazing OS, ive setup my storage pool, created user accounts and I've installed PLEX and NextCloud. I want to try my hand at virtual machines with TrueNas Core.

Like I mentioned in the beginning I was hoping to leverage the GPU to do the transcoding. Not sure how to check to see if my GPU is actually doing the job. I can see that it's connected to the system through the shell command line.

I've read that sometimes the GPU has issues with communicating to PLEX and then the VMs can cause trouble with using GPU passthrough. I am confused at the threads I read which say that NVIDIA GPUs are not supported...and then AMD GPUs are not supported. Not sure where to dig on the GPU use case.

Did I make an error with using an AMD CPU? Is TrueNas a long ways out from leveraging GPUs?

I will continue to read and scour posts for any info that someone before might have shared about these builds.

Thank you for taking the time to read my first posting and I look forward to any constructive input. Thanks in advance!

eljefe7070

Cadet
Ah, I see. I guess I'll have to move all my data and rebuild the machine as Scale instead. Lots of work ahead of me. Looking forward to being able to use the GPU. I'll abandon my CORE GPU hunt and move to Scale. Thank you!