Nvidia Grid K2 on TrueNAS Scale

Agnemon

Cadet
I am presuming that an Nvidia Grid K2 in pass through will work work in TrueNas

Dell R730
:64GB
:Dual CPU
:2x750W PSU

From what I have read so far Dell's require dual CPU and 1100W PSU's for GPU pass through (looking at upgrading to 1100W)

Are there any issues or gotcha's from the TrueNAS side

TIA

Starkoman

Cadet
Hi there — I've bought an Nvidia Grid K2 as well and have been trying to find out whether it'll passthrough TrueNAS (any version, preferably Scale), to Plex (plug-in). It turns out that nVidia haven't exactly made it easy for customers to use the Grid series or K2 as they wish.

Fortunately, the K2 doesn't require licensing and is the least awful to passthrough hosts to VM's.

I'm not finished watching them yet, but Jeff at Craft Computing has made a 3-episode series on these cards (and hacking the cheaper Tesla cards' BIOS to match up to the K2), to put them in a 2U Dell server for gaming inside virtual machines over his home network.

It's close enough to adapt to our purposes.

I've watched the first one and am reading through the comments (which led me here).

Here's a link to the first video: https://youtu.be/8Qm9IbSHkus

If he or his supporters/collaborators can't fix it, it can't be done. Hopefully, we'll know more — and have a workable solution — by the end of the third video (or some bright spark in the comments may contribute one).

I hope this helps.

If you've learned anything, please do post the info here — I'd be very grateful. Thank you!

duderuud

Dabbler
I recently started with TrueNAS (Scale) and an Nvidia T600 card. Sadly you can only use the card for a VM or an app. I hoped it would be possible to shared that resource across multiple VM's or apps but nope...

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
In order to do GPU virtualization, you'd need the vGPU/GRID host driver to be installed into the SCALE instance so that the host (Debian) system can recognize and do the GPU virtualization - unfortunately, the K2 owners are out of luck here as GRID for KVM was only introduced in v5.0 which doesn't support Kepler cards - Maxwell or newer only.

However the GRID K2 is two physical GPUs on a single board - I would think it would be possible to do a direct passthrough of each individual GPU to a single VM, or one for a VM and one staying on the host to be leveraged within containers.

My GRID experience is limited to vSphere unfortunately. Apologies if I'm omitting something here.