NTPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Elliott

Dabbler
Now with 4 CPUs, my copy of FreeNAS is a bit overpowered, though I do like the increased speed and responsiveness. In addition, I need a dedicated time server. However, I also badly need to access NTPD's various logs, which is impossible under the present scheme. I was wondering if I could use the unallocated portion of the FreeNAS boot disk, about 13.9 Gb, as a data storage area for the NTPD logs, or otherwise add a new disk to the system as a data storage area. And if that is possible, how I can configure NTPD to output its logs. I know that information is on this website somewhere; I just don't know where. Would it be easier (faster) to add a new copy of NTPD in a jail (or somewhere)?

JDCynical

Contributor
No, you can not use the boot device for anything else but that. Any extra space is utilized as storage space for version rollbacks and such (if I'm not mistaken).

As for the logs, why do you want to 'keep' logs from ntpd? Ntpd, as with most 'proper' *NIX daemons, uses the system syslog facilities. If you really want to have a place to store them, you could look at setting up a syslog 'server' and have FreeNAS direct it's logs to that, or, perhaps set up a jail on the FreeNAS machine and run a syslog collector there?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'd be very curious to know why you "badly" need logs. It isn't as though you're a stratum one server ... are you?

Note that I have more than a passing interest, as I also work with NTP.ORG. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.