Not sure why this is so hard.

blueI5land

Dabbler
Hello all I'll try to keep this as short as I can but I have to TL;DR explain:

About a year ago I set up trueNas on an older machine. Everything went great had a few hiccups but I got it all running at my home. I would access the machine via another desktop that I would consider my main desktop in the house.

I have since moved the nas to an office location where I am trying to set up a small local area network.

Here is the setup at the new location:

The internet is provided via Ethernet and also wireless throughout the building. I am not yet connected to the internet but I am able to connect over LAN with wireless to the machine since the laptop does not have an ethernet port.

I am using an older Asus ac1900 router that is called a cellspot from T-Mobile I ended up getting it for free. I'm able to access the router and I see the NAS and can communicate just fine with the NAS.

I have a newer laptop that I am using to access the nas.

In an earlier thread I mentioned I forgot to connect one of my disks and was having trouble with getting everything running. However I fixed that issue but I'm having another issue that I can't seem to fix and would appreciate some assistance.

Because I already had the nas running correctly, I had sort of assumed I could just log in and view my files but I realized that because I'm using a laptop that I had not used before, the network drive was not mapped to this laptop.

When I look in my network settings. In capital letters I see TRUENAS. But when I click on it it doesn't go anywhere. So in my infinite wisdom I decided to delete the user associated with the account and also strip all ACL, and start over and so I made a new user with a new group I followed several tutorials online and YouTube videos. I'm fairly confident I set it up correctly with the new permissions however I could be wrong.

So I'm stuck at the point where I right click on network and click map network drive and then I go to a prompt for the username and password.

I'm hoping I didn't completely screw this up by deleting the original user. But the part that baffles me, is that I am 100% sure of the password I am using that I set up with the new user, but when I enter it into the windows map Network credentials it simply doesn't work.

Where do I go from here?

When in Windows, you should map a specific share, not the "TRUENAS" server in general.

For example,
\\192.168.0.100\myshare

Or,
\\truenas.local\myshare

blueI5land

Dabbler
Yes understood. That is what comes up by default. I never entered anything into this laptop regarding a mapped drive. It's just there.

So what happens when you manually map a drive, and you enter the address as \\truenas.local\myshare ?

(Or using the IP address of the TrueNAS server. Either way.)

blueI5land

Dabbler
I tried to manually map a drive. I right click on network in file explorer, enter the user and password I know is 100% correct and absolutely nothing else happens it doesn't move to the next step where I can see my files.

I tried to manually map a drive. I right click on network in file explorer,

Skip this part.

On Windows Explorer, go to "This PC", then in the top bar click on "Computer", and then finally click the "Map Network Drive" button.

Proceed from here and manually specify the folder/path in the format of \\truenas.local\myshare or \\192.168.0.100\myshare

Choose the option "Connect using different credentials".

blueI5land

Dabbler
So here is what I get

20220727_112916.jpg

Is it really 192.168.0.100? Because I only used that IP address in my example as an idea to demonstrate the format of the address/path.

blueI5land

Dabbler
I think I'm getting close how do I find the full folder tree location where my share is located.

I think I'm getting close how do I find the full folder tree location where my share is located.
You don't.

You use the format: \\server.name\sharename

Or: \\ip.ad.re.ss\sharename

The "share name" is what you named the share in your TrueNAS -> Shares -> SMB

blueI5land

Dabbler
Here's a screenshot of my pools. I can log in under the network drive. But I just don't think I'm pointing to the right location
20220727_114134.jpg

I feel like we're going in circles.

I sympathize. I really do. But there's only so many ways I can say the same thing.

Plus, I just noticed your TrueNAS server's IP address is 192.168.29.107, yet you used 192.168.0.100 when trying to map a network share. Why?

blueI5land

Dabbler
Yes because I'm dumb as shit that's why. I have corrected that. Now specifically...

When I first created my two different pools I screwed up and named one of them lowercase Nas and the other one Capital NAS.

Very basically I simply need to know how to access each of these folders. I had no business setting up this machine but now that I'm here I need you to treat me like I'm fucking 7 years old and help get me access to the files. This is what you're paid to do.

blueI5land

Dabbler
Yeah I'm not sure who has the time to sit here and monitor the true nas forum other than someone who's paid..... I didn't mean it in a derogatory way.... If you're sitting here monitoring the true Nas forum for shits and giggles.... Man you have so much more in your life to accomplish and achieve

Why are you suddenly ridiculing someone online who's trying to help you?

I gave you an idea of what to do, based on some rudimentary knowledge about network shares and Windows.

We're a community, users of TrueNAS trying to help out other users of TrueNAS. I happen to be off work today, and that's why I'm able to reply more quickly than usual.

Anyway could someone simply tell me specifically the path
You don't.

You use the format: \\server.name\sharename

Or: \\ip.ad.re.ss\sharename

The "share name" is what you named the share in your TrueNAS -> Shares -> SMB

I already pointed this out. You need to check how you configured and named your SMB shares under TrueNAS -> Shares -> SMB

Or more precisely for TrueNAS Core: TrueNAS -> Sharing -> Windows Shares (SMB)

blueI5land

Dabbler
I honestly wasn't ridiculing sometimes tone gets lost in text. I'm actually quite a likable person contrary to popular belief . I set up this machine and literally everything was fine until I moved it to a new location. Just really trying to get the full path specifically. I don't need generalizations I need specific path for my folders to map the drive

I don't need generalizations I need specific path for my folders to map the drive
I can't provide that because it's not my server, nor do I have possession of your server.

I explained where you need to go to find the names of your shares.