Not sure if freenas is what i need, please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachte

Dabbler
I've been doing some more digging and thinking... Those boards are nice and would be something i would put in my main pc. Seeing that a videocard is not required for freenas, except maybe during the setup.. I'm guessing that this would suffice for what i plan on doing with it? http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5732#ov
Basically i've started thinking like as if i would be building another "work" pc..

Six sata's plus the m2 to boot from. And the hardware will be here in 1 day, seeing the board is a bit less i'd even consider going to a higher lvl cpu, maybe an i3.

If no one sees a problem with this i'll order this tomorrow after work and stop bothering you with all my questions :)

Netrider

Cadet
GA-X150M-PRO ECC:
  1. Support for DDR4 2133 MHz memory modules
  2. Support for ECC UDIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules
    * To support ECC memory, you must install an Intel® Xeon processor
So, don't support ECC memory with i3 or others 1151 socket CPU's
Do you buy this board ? Have you install FreeNAS 9.3 or use to another usage?

To minimize power consumption, I’m trying to find a new skylake processor with 51W / 35W TDP to build a home freenas.
Is difficult to find a board 1151 Skylake supporting ECC correction without Xeon. The new i3, pentium and celerons support ECC, according ARK of Intel.

Nevertheless, DDR4 specifications are a little different from DDR3 and I think this forum don't question the following point of DDR4 standards.

According JEDEC:
“Additional features include:
· Programmable refresh: Reducing performance penalty of dense DDR4 devices by allowing for refresh intervals ranging from 1x to .0625x the normal refresh interval
· CRC computation/validation across the data bus: Enabling error detection capability for data transfers – especially beneficial during write operations and in non-ECC memory applications
· New CA parity for command/address bus: Providing a low-cost method (parity) to verify the integrity of command and address transfers over a link, for all operations”

When read Kingston information, is possible to read about the existence of CRC and DDR4 RAS (Reliability, Availability, Serviceability).
I don’t have capacity to find if this in fact in all DDR4 memory, as a standard.

If exist, non-ecc DDR4 is a little diferent from non-ecc DDR3. The DDR4 can be more reliable and maybe the ECC protection exist in another way. Maybe the bit flip problem is more reduce or mabye impossible. For example, DDR4 are imune to Row Hammer effect...

This is maybe a big issue to decide to go for a AMD system UDIMM ECC, with more power requirements (in my country the kWh is at 0.20€) or stay in new Skylake G4400 or maybe G3900T with DDR4 non-ECC, but with new RAS features !!!

I’m waiting for MSI replay about the capacity to use i3, Pentium or Celeron skylakes with ECC full support on new mainboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.