Not able to resolve .local hostname on wireless lan macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbang

Cadet
Hi,

I've installed FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC2 on a PC that is connected via Gigabit ethernet to a router. I'm able to resolve (by say pinging) freenas.local from any computer connected to the lan by wire. Resolving it doesn't seem to work with wireless clients, but pinging the actual IP does work.

Could this be a problem with avahi-daemon or the router itself? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

b0bje

Dabbler
I could be wrong, but I believe the multicast DNS provided by bonjour (avahi-daemon here) will only work on the same subnet.
I would try putting one of your freenas network interfaces in the same subnet as your wireless (if you have a spare NIC).

b0bje

Dabbler
Then my guess would be that the wireless access point or wireless router you use doesn't support multicast routing (or is turned off in it's config).

As I said above, if you have a spare wireless usb dongle that works in bsd you can try giving freenas an ip on the wireless to broadcast bonjour info that way.

snowbang

Cadet
I believe FreeNAS 8.0.1 doesn't support wireless, so even if I attached a wireless USB adapter there would be no way to supply the encryption type and wireless key through the FreenNAS GUI.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If support hasn't been stripped out of the base system (and I don't know!), you can manipulate it via the command line. It's in the class of things that are "well I happen to have this dongle sitting around", not "I'll go out and buy one to try this."

Status
Not open for further replies.