Norco RPC-4224 and hard drives that are too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
To elaborate a bit, expect to pay at least 20 bucks per fan when buying from resellers of industrial OEMs (thick standard fans, expect to pay more for counter-rotating fans) - and they'll only have bare cables - it's up to you to crimp the cables to fan connectors.

renjithc

Dabbler

cyberjock

Inactive Account
"reasonable" sound is very much a personal thing. Mine is in the basement, so I didn't really consider sound in my purchase. I was looking for adequate cooling and nothing more.

Pressure depends on your setup. The fan model I mentioned in the thread should be able to be searched to find the pressure I used. Again, I went for what I considered to be "a sure thing" because I didn't want to buy yet more fans only to find I'd need a 4th set of fans for the same chassis. I like to do it once and be done with it.

safia

Cadet
It's been ages since I enteracted with computers in this level, happy to find this forum and hidding now to your tutorial cyberjock.

thank you

Chimera

Cadet
Cyberjock, I have a very similar setup with you in terms of Norco plus Western digital drives. I have tried the Corsair AX750 Gold PSU and I was getting intermittent drive drop outs requiring a reset. I have upgraded to a M12II-850 Bronze Seasonic and I am still getting dropouts. I'm wondering if this is because the PSU's that I have picked only have 25A on the 5V rail. The WD green drives aparrently draw more than other drives on 5V. Can you confirm that the OCZ gold rated 850W PSU (having 30A on 5v) has run without any further drop outs in your setup. (You did mention that there was an issue running the fans at low speed). Your assistance would be much appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not using that PSU anymore so I can't tell you.

Personally, I'm not buying that the 5v rail current maximum is the problem. Even more so since you've tried 2 PSUs. I'd say it's far more likely that you've got a power splitter or some cable that is causing enough of a voltage drop that the drive drop occasionally. But that's a topic that really should be taken to a different thread as that's not related to that this thread's topic at all. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Cyberjock, I have a very similar setup with you in terms of Norco plus Western digital drives. I have tried the Corsair AX750 Gold PSU and I was getting intermittent drive drop outs requiring a reset. I have upgraded to a M12II-850 Bronze Seasonic and I am still getting dropouts. I'm wondering if this is because the PSU's that I have picked only have 25A on the 5V rail. The WD green drives aparrently draw more than other drives on 5V. Can you confirm that the OCZ gold rated 850W PSU (having 30A on 5v) has run without any further drop outs in your setup. (You did mention that there was an issue running the fans at low speed). Your assistance would be much appreciated.
You didn't upgrade, you got yourself a massive downgrade.

An AX750 (which, by the way, is a Seasonic X-Series), in working order, will easily handle a crapton of drives. How many drives are you using?

Chimera

Cadet
I'm using 20 drives. Can I bring this article to your attention:
http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_caviar_green_2tb_review_wd20ears
I am using the RAID version of these drives but it does indicates that this WD genre use more than other drives particularly during write operations.
I have my server on during the day but it never crashes. At night time I run backups involving lots of random writes. It is during this time that the drives fall off line. (Maybe only once every 6-9 days)
Also I had increased the size of my RAIDS at the time that these crashed started occurring.
I had replaced all of the cabling involved in powering the drives at the time of replacing the PSU.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I politely tried to say to make your own threads. This has NOTHING to do with hard drives being too hot, so please make your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.