NOOB Network questions

mvmatch

Cadet
Seriously, since retiring 3 years ago my IT knowledge has been fading fast and I've forgotten most of what seemed rote before. I've been transferring files, mostly media stuff, from 3 other retiring servers to my TrueNAS system:
Supermicro 826 chassis
X11SSH-F mobo
Xeon E3-1245 V5 CPU
32 GB ECC ram
single pool of 12 Seagate 4TB NAS drives in Z2, 8 drives via onboard SATA ports, 4 via 9212 HBA in IT
NVMe M.2 boot drive
TrueNAS 12-U8

I don't believe the problems lie with the TrueNAS server, but I simply don't know where to look, or if what I'm seeing is even abnormal. I've searched for a week on these forums and other sources on the web. Somebody knows what the problem is, but I can find him/her. So I ask here.

Transferring video and music files from a Windows 10 box (Intel NIC) that used to be my PLEX server I notice that the GB network saturates at ~115 MB/s, which is what I would expect, but only for about 6 minutes. Then the rate drops to 10 MB/s for about 5 or 6 minutes, then jumps back up to 114-115 MB/s for 5 or 6 minutes over and over. Doesn't matter which direction I'm moving stuff, from Win 10 to TrueNAS, or from TrueNAS to Win 10.

Transferring from an older FreeNAS server to this new TrueNAS server via my office Windows 11 box I see ~45 MB/s. Would that be because the packets travel THROUGH the Windows box in their path between the servers? (Intel Gb NICS in all) But I see the same drop-outs to 10-11 MB/s every 5-6 minutes.

The rest of the network is (Comcast) to (Motorola MB8600 cable modem) to (Mikrotik Hex router) to (TP-LINK SG1024DE switch) to (the various servers, TV, TV converter, various computers, VOIP box, and an ASUS AT-66R added only to provide wireless) Most of these devices have been powered down during the transfer sessions.

Where to begin? Or is there a better source for clues to network anomalies than these TrueNAS forums? I'm looking for clues.

Come to think of it, now I recall similar issues existed before this file transfer marathon began . . . it was just less noticeable until I started moving 6 TB of stuff all over the place.