No write access for host user on docker dataset

xeweme1597

Cadet
Hi,

I have a little odd problem, i have a SMB share on one of my datasets and meanwhile i am passing the dataset to a docker instance.
The problem is that only one user can modify files in the data set at the same time.
The docker instance is running qbittorrent which needs write access to the dataset but when i then try to modify files throughthe samba share i do not have access.
doing a "ls -l" prints the owner of samba side modified files as 1000, but the user that is running the qbittorrent application is a different user that is not 1000.
I've tried to make a group that contains the user that is running the process and a newly created user with the id 1000, although this doesnt work at all.
I just want write access from both sides but im unable to since i can only get one side to have access?

Is there any way to fix this?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Can you have qbittorrent access the dataset via SMB (or worst-case, NFS)?

xeweme1597

Cadet
Can you have qbittorrent access the dataset via SMB (or worst-case, NFS)?
No it seems when i try to mount a SMB share in the docker i just get
Code:
Unable to apply new capability set.

Since i use windows on my main machines NFS shares are going to be a real pain to setup.

I mean it kind of works meanwhile but its really annoying to have to change owner of the files in the dataset all the time.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
SMB doesn't really want another protocol to access its datasets since none of the file locking will work completely.

If anything, I'd suggest we try to make it possible for Apps to use SMB to access shared datasets. Do other people agree?

It would be appreciated if someone could work out if/why it can't work now.... then we could create a Jira ticket.

ornias

Wizard
It's also relevant to make clear if you used the Big-Blue-Button to install qbittorrent or TrueCharts.
In case you used TrueCharts, you should try filing a bugreport there directly on github or ask for support on discord (see website)

xeweme1597

Cadet
It's also relevant to make clear if you used the Big-Blue-Button to install qbittorrent or TrueCharts.
In case you used TrueCharts, you should try filing a bugreport there directly on github or ask for support on discord (see website)
Neither, i just pulled a docker image from
Code:
linuxserver/qbittorrent

qbittorrent was not available on TrueCharts only Transmission from what i could see.
I am also using a Jellyfin media server container from TrueCharts with the same issue (being that i cant edit the files on SAMBA because a local user or group that is running the process needs to have access to the media files to work properly).

ornias

Wizard
Neither, i just pulled a docker image from
Code:
linuxserver/qbittorrent

qbittorrent was not available on TrueCharts only Transmission from what i could see.
I am also using a Jellyfin media server container from TrueCharts with the same issue (being that i cant edit the files on SAMBA because a local user or group that is running the process needs to have access to the media files to work properly).
So you ARE using the "big blue button" aka "launch docker container" option? because running docker from the CLI isn't supported anyway, so that changes the whole topic completely.

TrueCharts has multiple Trains though and I'm 100% sure qbittorrent is available in our incubator train.
The Jellyfin App we use can run as any user you want it to, so I donnot think your issue exists with our Jellyfin App, if so you should just file an issue report with us directly.

xeweme1597

Cadet
So you ARE using the "big blue button" aka "launch docker container" option? because running docker from the CLI isn't supported anyway, so that changes the whole topic completely.

TrueCharts has multiple Trains though and I'm 100% sure qbittorrent is available in our incubator train.
The Jellyfin App we use can run as any user you want it to, so I donnot think your issue exists with our Jellyfin App, if so you should just file an issue report with us directly.
Oh haha, i thought you meant Big Blue button the APPLICATION.
But the issue still remains even if i use either a preconfigured docker image from TrueCharts or use the button.

ornias

Wizard
Oh haha, i thought you meant Big Blue button the APPLICATION.
But the issue still remains even if i use either a preconfigured docker image from TrueCharts or use the button.
Most TrueCharts Apps have a configurable user, like I explained 2 times by now, so if there are any issues please file support requests on either discord or Github.