No Valid Replicas. How to replace this disk ?

numbertwo

Dabbler
Hi,
I have an alert "CRITICAL Device: /dev/ada2, Self-Test Log error count increased from 3 to 4. " shown today, I wish to replace the said disk. Below is my zpool status. When i tried to follow the replacement instruction here, i was not able to 'offline' the ada2 as it says " [EZFS_NOREPLICAS] no valid replicas" , Can i know what the reason is? Is it because it is not in any RAID mode ? And if yes, what can I do to replace the said HDD ?

Thanks

TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1

root@freenas:~ # zpool status -v
pool: Data
state: ONLINE
status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool.
The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.
scan: scrub repaired 0B in 05:47:36 with 0 errors on Mon Nov 21 00:47:37 2022
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
Data ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/d9813e80-7d30-11e8-9d21-6466b3042a22 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/dc237607-7d30-11e8-9d21-6466b3042a22 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

Last edited:

c77dk

Patron
You only have a stripe, which means if any of the disks die, the data i most likely toast.
Do you have a spare sata port ? Then I believe you should be able to connect the new disk to that port and chose replace

numbertwo

Dabbler
You only have a stripe, which means if any of the disks die, the data i most likely toast.
Do you have a spare sata port ? Then I believe you should be able to connect the new disk to that port and chose replace
Thanks.. Yes I have a four bay NAS.. Two slots occupied and the other Two slots are still empty.. So I presume I should insert one brand new disk (same capacity) into the 3rd bay and follow the Replace process?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So I presume I should insert one brand new disk (same capacity) into the 3rd bay and follow the Replace process?
Correct, except don't offline the disk in question, just replace it.

madin3

Dabbler
If I may. I have the exact identical problem but I do not have spare bay/sata port available, all 4 bays are occupied at 83% . I realize from your earlier post that I might be toast. What are my other options? What is the best way to rebuild my pool and which configuration would you suggest? Thank you

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If I may. I have the exact identical problem but I do not have spare bay/sata port available, all 4 bays are occupied at 83% . I realize from your earlier post that I might be toast. What are my other options? What is the best way to rebuild my pool and which configuration would you suggest? Thank you

Your option is to add a port somehow. The pool needs all its devices to be there if you only have a stripe setup with no redundancy. The server cannot rebuild a disk unless it has somewhere to draw the data from. If you can add a port, then you can make the failing disk into a mirror set by extending it with a new disk. Then the NAS will copy the data from the failing disk to the new disk. There are no other options that allow you to keep your data.

madin3

Dabbler
Your option is to add a port somehow. The pool needs all its devices to be there if you only have a stripe setup with no redundancy. The server cannot rebuild a disk unless it has somewhere to draw the data from. If you can add a port, then you can make the failing disk into a mirror set by extending it with a new disk. Then the NAS will copy the data from the failing disk to the new disk. There are no other options that allow you to keep your data.
Thank you. USB ports are obviously not an option. BTW non of my disks are failing, the server is at 83% and I want to replace any 2TB disk with a 4TB or 8TB disk. Will search the forums to see if anyone was able to successfully add an additional SATA port to a 4 bay HP ProLiant Micro Server.

danb35

Hall of Famer

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thank you. USB ports are obviously not an option. BTW non of my disks are failing, the server is at 83% and I want to replace any 2TB disk with a 4TB or 8TB disk. Will search the forums to see if anyone was able to successfully add an additional SATA port to a 4 bay HP ProLiant Micro Server.

I agree with danb35, USB could be an option here. Since you only need a single port, the serial number issue isn't a consideration, and the other normal reasons we don't recommend USB may not apply.

Arwen

MVP
Actually, growing a non-redundant pool could be a bad idea. The more data in use, the more likely-hood of eventual bad blocks. Or even outright complete disk failure, which would take out the entire pool

Now if you have good backups, or the NAS is your backups, then maybe a non-redundant pool is going to be okay for you.

On the subject of USB enclosures. Even if it is temporary, you want good cooling. The device listed by danb35 does not have any cooling. But, you could stick a desk fan near by during the re-silver, (aka disk replacement which does a ton of writes to the new, USB attached disk).

Other USB disk enclosures are in this resource;

madin3

Dabbler
Actually, growing a non-redundant pool could be a bad idea. The more data in use, the more likely-hood of eventual bad blocks. Or even outright complete disk failure, which would take out the entire pool

Now if you have good backups, or the NAS is your backups, then maybe a non-redundant pool is going to be okay for you.

On the subject of USB enclosures. Even if it is temporary, you want good cooling. The device listed by danb35 does not have any cooling. But, you could stick a desk fan near by during the re-silver, (aka disk replacement which does a ton of writes to the new, USB attached disk).

Other USB disk enclosures are in this resource;
Thank you all for the great suggestions and to danb35 - I did have in my possession an "Inateck RGB SATA to USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station" which worked perfectly well. A 2TB disk was replaced with a 4TB disk. So now my pool is down to a safe 62% from 83% after a 19 hour nail biting re-silver suspense, fortunately heating/cooling was not an issue.

And now "the but" - I was able to replace the 4th disk (ada3) of a four bay NAS enclosure (HP ProLiant MicroServer). But every time I try to replace the first disk (ada0) I keep getting an error message "report_problem Error Replacing Disk Could not replace disk."
This was the disk I initially wanted to replace and would still like to as I had received a warning some time back of it being unstable but was "fixed" after scrubbing.

The other issue is since my pool is a Stripe and prone to failure how do I efficiently convert it to allow for redundancy as in ZFS/RAID? not sure. Thank you.

Etorix

Wizard
The other issue is since my pool is a Stripe and prone to failure how do I efficiently convert it to allow for redundancy as in ZFS/RAID? not sure. Thank you.
It depends what layout you want to achieve.
For a stripe of 2-way mirrors, you could replace two drives by much larger models, detach the last two old drives—moving their content to the larger dives—, and then extend each of the two remaining vdevs to make them into 2-way mirrors.
For a raidz2, which is the safer option, there's no good alternative to bringing all four drives in one go. So you'll need another system, preferably one which could attach eight drives so the transfer from one pool to the other would take place internally rather than through the network.

madin3

Dabbler
It depends what layout you want to achieve.
For a stripe of 2-way mirrors, you could replace two drives by much larger models, detach the last two old drives—moving their content to the larger dives—, and then extend each of the two remaining vdevs to make them into 2-way mirrors.
For a raidz2, which is the safer option, there's no good alternative to bringing all four drives in one go. So you'll need another system, preferably one which could attach eight drives so the transfer from one pool to the other would take place internally rather than through the network.
Thanks for that Etorix will try the first option.