SOLVED No release option when creating jails.

solonovamax

Cadet
Hey,

I've been using FreeNAS for a bit now, and I finally wanted to take it a bit further then what I've already done. So far, I've just been using it as a NAS. I was hoping I could get a bot or two up and running on the machine, in the background. (I've been wanting to make a discord bot, which runs off of node.js)

Anyways, I've had some problems with this. I've tried creating a jail. Yet there are no options for selecting the release. It seems that there has been this problem before, here, yet I could not find any solution.
1555252321632.png
Additionally, when I first go to create a jail (or after a bit of time), it'll ask me to select a pool or dataset for jail storage. Then, I will get the following error:
1555252282299.png Here is the log that is shown when this message pops up:https://pastebin.com/Y92GfNxw

A few things I want to point out:
  • I had some problems installing FreeNAS. I outlined the problem and the steps I took to solve it here. a TL;DR of it is:
    • I couldn't boot latest FreeNAS version
    • I then had to convert the FreeNAS image (that was already on the USB) from using GPT to using MBR, as my motherboard doesn't seem to support GPT.
  • I absolutely have enough storage, I've only dedicated 925GB out of my 2TB HDD.
  • I've tried manually creating the iocage folder and setting its storage space to 100GB, 50GB, 250GB. It still does not work. (If I set it after it has been created, it doesn't like that: so I must delete iocage, then make a new one at 100GB)
  • I may have accidentally done something in the network settings that caused this.(?) at one point, I was attempting to try and SSH into the server from my school computer (because they block LITERALLY EVERYTHING, so I wanted to be able to store all sorts of things there.
If I missed anything, please feel free to let me know, and I'll try and provide the information

Thanks for your time,
~solonovamax

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Check your network settings, it looks like it's timing out trying to connect.

solonovamax

Cadet
Check your network settings, it looks like it's timing out trying to connect.
What in particular would I look for? I have no clue what should be on/off/etc. (I know more or less what I changed, but still, I'm not really sure)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Make sure you have a default gateway listed and DNS server(s) listed.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
nameserver == DNS Server, they are the same thing just different names. Set your nameserver to whatever dns server you use.For example a common one is google's dns servers 8.8.8.8

solonovamax

Cadet
nameserver == DNS Server, they are the same thing just different names. Set your nameserver to whatever dns server you use.For example a common one is google's dns servers 8.8.8.8
Ok, I set my name server to 192.168.2.1, which is the one I am using on my pc at the moment. (according to cmd's ipconfig /all). I also tried 8.8.8.8. Neither worked.

Edit: a new error has appeared: https://pastebin.com/AQxhg3ZF

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That error means you do not have the correct default gateway set.
  1. OSError: [Errno 65] No route to host

solonovamax

Cadet
That error means you do not have the correct default gateway set.
  1. OSError: [Errno 65] No route to host
Thanks for that! It turns out that I set my default gateway to the ip I wanted my NAS to be at, rather than the ip of my router. Now that I've solved that, all is fine!

Thanks!

ccav

Dabbler
Good idea