SOLVED No IP from DHCP on jails - Moved to new ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloa

Wizard
My issue creating a bug is that it seems I'm the only one reporting. If was a bug, more people would be joining the conversation, so it must be something wrong I'm doing. What? I've no clue :)

Will open the bug and brace for impact ;)

sharky

Dabbler
I think a lot of people don't know what jails are and not using them. Furthermore 9.10 is just two month old...

melloa

Wizard

melloa

Wizard
Thanks SS for creating. Just saw it when did a search before duplicating :)
Bug #15718

PhilZJ81

Explorer
I'm not sure if this would help, but I had a problem with my 9.10. I have DHCP enabled on the jails configuration:
upload_2016-5-30_18-59-44.png

and also on the specific jail:
upload_2016-5-30_19-0-29.png

I also wouldn't get an IP address, until i set my default gateway under network
upload_2016-5-30_19-1-25.png

This is something new, I didn't have to do this under 9.3 or 9.3.1.

good luck!

melloa

Wizard
hmmm ... don't know. My configuration has always been DHCP on the jail general and DHCP on my jails themselves. I used to get their MAC and assign on my routed a SIP LAN IP and set a DNS Resolver for it, so I could access with the names instead and won't need to remember the ~55 IPs for my devices on my home network.

Will play a little with that, as I also reported a bug that seems to be linked with the general jail DHCP configuration.

melloa

Wizard
Nope, that didn't fix the DHCP issue and, in fact, it shouldn't be the logical configuration, as FN should go to my DHCP Server to get a free IP, not provide an IP from a range you'd specify in it. That could cause IP conflicts inside the network.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
Nope, that didn't fix the DHCP issue and, in fact, it shouldn't be the logical configuration, as FN should go to my DHCP Server to get a free IP, not provide an IP from a range you'd specify in it. That could cause IP conflicts inside the network.

I'm super new to this, so bare with me. But I'm not specifying any IP address ranges anywhere in FreeNAS. I thought the DHCP option in the Jails -> Configuration meant "I'm using a DHCP server use IT to get an IP address, don't try to create IPs on the server (freeNAS jails)". Again, on my FreeNAS Jails -> configuration I have DHCP enabled, if I click advanced options the 'range' is grayed out. (adding screenshot)
upload_2016-5-30_20-12-26.png

Which leads me to believe that FreeNAS will not try to 'create' IPs, instead it'll use the DHCP on my router (which is also my default gateway). Then inside the jail itself for PLEX, I also have DHCP enabled, which I believe requests an ip from the "jails manager" (if I can call it that).

So to recap, this is how I understand it.
The Plex jail == DHCP enabled, which then it goes to it's parent the 'all jails' config, in my case, also DHCP, which then goes to the network and says 'gimmie an ip'.

Anyways, I'm sorry that didn't fix your issue, hopefully someone that actually understands this stuff will chime in (meaning not me).

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-30_20-19-32.png
    upload_2016-5-30_20-19-32.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 247

melloa

Wizard
I agree. The general config will (should) tell FN to use DHCP and the specific jail config will turn that option on for the specific jail.

I'm also very new to BSD, so we are both on the same boat.

melloa

Wizard
Interesting discussion. It seems the issue was reported before, but the ticket open was closed with a "can't replicate". Also the "bug" with the GUI I've found is interesting. As the DHCP Client isn't working, I've set jails for testing with SIP, but every time you open the jail configuration (click the icon or double-click the jail) the GUI changes the IPv4 from uncheck to checked and erases the IP I've configured for the jail...

In a way that was good for me b/c forced me to build a VBox server and move my servers to VMs, so have learned a lot re-configuring them to make them work with my FN CIFS.

But ... I'm a FN fan and want it fixed!

melloa

Wizard

PhilZJ81

Explorer
Yeah. I haven't had any issues with dhcp on my jails.

did you do a clean 9.10 install on the jails? According to other threads, if there was going to be a problem, that's the scenario they show up in. When I tried my 9.3 configuration, using the old jails dataset, it looked ok.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
When I upgraded from 9.3.1 I used the same jails config and dataset

Ah ok, that's probably why then, the issues all seem to be centered around users that did a fresh 9.10 install, using 9.10 jail template.

melloa

Wizard
I have four FNs running. Three upgraded from 9.3 and they all have the issue. One I did a fresh install, imported the config, deleted all jails and jails DS, recreated the jail DS with a different name just in case, created jails and no IP from DHCP. Built a fresh box, installed 9.3, upgraded to 9.10 and same ... no IP from DHCP. Blamed my pfSense as I have installed pf for all my family members and tested with a linksys router -> No IP.

I've ran out of options and ideas for this moment, so planning my downgrade until I can run a 9.10 in one VM without issues, so will move to the physical boxes.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
I have four FNs running. Three upgraded from 9.3 and they all have the issue. One I did a fresh install, imported the config, deleted all jails and jails DS, recreated the jail DS with a different name just in case, created jails and no IP from DHCP. Built a fresh box, installed 9.3, upgraded to 9.10 and same ... no IP from DHCP. Blamed my pfSense as I have installed pf for all my family members and tested with a linksys router -> No IP.

I've ran out of options and ideas for this moment, so planning my downgrade until I can run a 9.10 in one VM without issues, so will move to the physical boxes.

When you did your 9.3 upgrade to 9.10. Was the jail template created under 9.3 and then when you did the FN update to 9.10 you lost the ability to pickup an IP for it? Honestly, I really don't know how to help, but I'm just trying to keep track of the scenarios in which this occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.