No Hardware Offloading Option

ryan0413

Cadet
I have Scale 22.02.1 installed on my Supermicro server (X10DRL-i motherboard) with two built in 1Gbe ethernet connections and an add-in Intel X520 10Gbe network card. I am planning to run a couple Apps within the system and would prefer to use one of the 1Gbe connections for the Apps/Jails and the 10Gbe for my main file services (SMB, etc.). This way I could disable network hardware offloading on the 1Gbe connection and leave it enabled on the 10Gbe. However, when I look at the options under the interfaces I do not see an option for hardware offloading (see attached image). Is there something I am not doing on my side? Is it even possible to set different hardware offloading options on different interfaces? Thank you for any help!

TrueNAS Network.PNG

ragametal

Contributor
I know this thread is more than 1 year old but I'm also looking to an answer to this.
I'm building a new truenas Scale system (currently on version 22.12.3.3).
My board is an Asrock Rack E3C242D4U with two Intel I210 NICs.

I would like to use the first NIC with "Hardware Offloading" enabled for the main Truenas functions, and use the second NIC with "Hardware offloading" disabled for Plugins/apps. This is how i have it set up in another Truenas Core system i have and its very reliable.

However, I can't find a way to disable "Hardware offloading" in Truenas Scale. Do any of you knows where can I find this option?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS SCALE is built on Linux, not FreeBSD. So possibly one does not need to manually tweak these settings? Disabling hardware offloading for bridged networking in FreeBSD works around FreeBSD bugs that very probably do not exist in Linux in an identical manner. You might get different bugs, though :wink:

ragametal

Contributor
@Patrick M. Hausen , thanks for your response.
I assumed that was the case.

I honestly asked because some of the Truenas Core settings were located in different places in Truenas Scale. I just wanted to make sure "Hardware offloading" was not one of these cases. However, it seems that such option just doesn't exist in Truenas Scale.

Well, one less thing to worry about.