No boot device available

spacenoob

Dabbler
Hello guys,
I have installed TrueNas 10+ times at this point but it never shows as boot option.
my Hardware:
Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6, supermicro X11SSL-F, 32GB Samsung DDR4 ECC RAM

First there was the problem that CSM was enabled, someone told me that my mainboard might be booting into legacy mode and so can't find the boot drive.
Well I set the "Onboard Video Option ROM" to EFI and after a reboot I was able to disable CSM.
But sadly that changed nothing and my Board still ends up in trying no network boot etc...

If someone has an idea how to get TrueNas running on my System, I would be very happy to hear.
spacenoob

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Odd, so the installer boots but the boot device can't be found? What version of TrueNAS and what is the actual boot device you are trying to install onto?

spacenoob

Dabbler
Odd, so the installer boots but the boot device can't be found? What version of TrueNAS and what is the actual boot device you are trying to install onto?
Yes I was able to install TrueNas (should be the latest version so I'd say 12.0-U8).
There was no problem with installing onto my ssd, but after rebooting there was no bootable drive found.
I am using a Western Digital Blue SN550 500GB, with an m.2 adapter(just PCIe to PCIe so I guesss that should't be a problem).
I also already tried PCIe slots connected to the chipset and the CPU... no difference.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
We need to check and rule out possible boot-loader issues then... Please try installing TrueNAS SCALE 22.02 and confirm if it can't create bootable disks also:

spacenoob

Dabbler
We need to check and rule out possible boot-loader issues then... Please try installing TrueNAS SCALE 22.02 and confirm if it can't create bootable disks also:

sadly that didn't seem to be the issue.
I installed everything, but it just tried to look for bootable media from all sources and then threw me back into the bios

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
That is really bizarre... Tried doing a complete BIOS reset? I had to do that one time here before my system was bootable... BIOS updates also?

spacenoob

Dabbler
That is really bizarre... Tried doing a complete BIOS reset? I had to do that one time here before my system was bootable... BIOS updates also?
hmm
I've done a reset before but not an update yet.(it's an older board but I'll try anyway)

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Might be because of the M2 adaptor, perhaps the board / BIOS isn't setup to recognize it as a valid boot device. Typically you need to be using UEFI booting with M2 though.

spacenoob

Dabbler
Might be because of the M2 adaptor, perhaps the board / BIOS isn't setup to recognize it as a valid boot device. Typically you need to be using UEFI booting with M2 though.
ok I just installed to an old sata ssd and it instantly worked.
why isn't it working with my nvme ssd?