No addresse provided to web GUI on new installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncooked

Cadet
Hey there FreeNASians,

Recently put together a system on the M5A78L-M LX motherboard, which uses the Realtek 8111e network card. The problem I'm having really has me stumped; according to what my research, this network card is supported.

I installed FreeNAS (USB) doing the following :

1. Downloaded FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64.iso directly from the FreeNAS8 link on the freenas website.
2. Mounted .iso file to Deamon Tools.
3. Extracted FreeNAS_amd64_embedded.xy file
4. Extracted the FreeNas_amd64_embedded file
5. Appended .img to the end of the finally extracted file.

This was based on the advice I read on installing FreeNAS to USB

So, plugged this in and BAM, everything is great. FreeNAS starts doing its thing and its installed. Once it reaches the end, it tells me I can access the web GUI at... well, no where.

I don't really know what else to do; any help?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Uncooked, Welcome to the FreeNAS 8 Forums. For your reference the Docs/FAQs/Videos can be found here:
FAQS-Documentation-are-HERE

There's two things you can try. From the console #9, at the command line 'ifconfig -a' and look for your IP address there, OR, you can go back to the menu by typing 'exit' and try manually assigning an IP address. I suppose it's also possible your network card etc. wasn't detected and so FreeNAS didn't assign one. From the command line again (#9), you can do 'dmesg | more' and look through the output and see if you can identify your network device.

Hope that gets you back on track, good luck!

Uncooked

Cadet
Hi Uncooked, Welcome to the FreeNAS 8 Forums. For your reference the Docs/FAQs/Videos can be found here:
FAQS-Documentation-are-HERE

There's two things you can try. From the console #9, at the command line 'ifconfig -a' and look for your IP address there, OR, you can go back to the menu by typing 'exit' and try manually assigning an IP address. I suppose it's also possible your network card etc. wasn't detected and so FreeNAS didn't assign one. From the command line again (#9), you can do 'dmesg | more' and look through the output and see if you can identify your network device.

Hope that gets you back on track, good luck!

Hey protosd!

I've followed the steps recommended, and I've come up with the following:

FreeNAS does detect my network card, as identified by the dmesg | more command.

It sees it as "re0: Realtek 8168/8111 PCIe Gigabyte Ethernet"

When I run ifconfig -a however, I only get the local (127.0.0.1) address.

I will continue to read through the documentation in hopes that something pops out at me =)

Thanks!

Uncooked

Cadet
I also suppose it may help if I describe my network :

I currently have my FreeNAS box (dedicated) hooked up to a powerline adapter (confirmed functional).

This powerline adaptor is then connected to the host powerline adapter which is then directly connected to my router.

The router is then connected to the Fiber Optics box.

Powerline adaptor confirmed functional on my Win7 laptop.

ProtoSD

MVP
Have you tried setting a static IP address using the Network Setup Wizard from the console?
Does your windows machine use DHCP?

Uncooked

Cadet
Thanks for the response!

I have tried this, but to no avail.

Here is some more information I've gleaned :

When attempting to view my network interfaces, I get nothing. Not a one. When I use that dmesg | more command from shell however, I DO see my NIC at re0.

Any other tips? I'd really like to use FreeNAS as it seems GREAT but I'm having so much trouble getting it setup.

Would it be worth trying Ubuntu and seeing if its able to connect?

Thanks so much for your help!

Uncooked

Cadet
Update : Got a USB stick of Ubutu 11.04, and the NIC was fully functional, so the problem doesn't reside there.

cypher1024

Dabbler
Perhaps it's worth trying 8.0.1 Beta 4?
I have a board with an 8111E that works flawlessly under 8.0.1 B4. I haven't tested it with 8.0 Release though.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Good catch. We really need to recommend people move to Beta-4 (or the latest nightly) when we know they are running 8.0 through Beta-3. I hope the Devs change the Release 8.0 soon, it's causing a lot of needless problems. Even updating it to beta-4 would be helpful.

Uncooked

Cadet
Had the same idea =).

Just got back from Planet of the Apes, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for all the help!

Uncooked

Cadet
After some fiddling, I finally got BETA4 up and running... yahoo!

Now I have to deal with the "That service cannot be started" error... but that is for another thread!

Thank you all so much for your help =)!

In summary:

For Realtek cards described above, use the BETA4 release rather then then the 8.0 release!

joeschmuck

Old Man
And if you upgrade to one of the nightly builds I think you will find a lot of fixes to Beta-4. Hope Planet of the Apes was good. I remember the originals very well so I've been putting this movie off.

Status
Not open for further replies.