No access to web UI or FTP

SimpleSimon

Dabbler
I’ve been having a nightmare of a time with my NAS since the master internet socket got moved in my building. Shouldn’t have affected anything, but appears to have done or it’s just coincidental.

So… I’m not able to login to the UI it simply does not load despite me entering the correct IP (fixed IP). I’m also unable to access my drives via the network FTP I’d previously setup also.
I looked into this previously and read something about doing a fresh install and then loading a log or configuration file to bring all of the pools etc. back, but despite the fact I got this file when I had one opportunity, I forget where it is and what the name/extension would be to do a search. So I can’t even consider this option right now for fear of losing all of my data.

I’ve had a drive fail on me so desperately need to be able to rectify this, in the meantime I’ve disconnected all of the drives.

I appreciate that this post is all over the place, but if you have any ideas, please let me know. I’m very inexperienced, I essentially did the basics to get Plex working and have just been updating this as I go along. The system could really do with an update either way.

SimpleSimon

Dabbler
Is this such a strange or perhaps stupid situation that nobody can help? I’m shocked how there’s no response here at all! I’ll ask elsewhere if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, it helps to not post in the section labeled "(Legacy Software Releases)"...
I’ve been having a nightmare of a time with my NAS since the master internet socket got moved in my building
Since you're probably not a Hollywood scriptwriter looking to use nonsense technobabble, I'll read that as "the incoming cable for my service got moved around" - try to avoid the word "socket" unless you're referring to the Berkeley Sockets API, it gets confusing.
You're right, by itself that doesn't make much sense, so start at square one:
  1. Is the machine up?
  2. What does the machine's local console say?
  3. What does the machine report its network configuration as?
  4. Can the machine reach anything else?

SimpleSimon

Dabbler
I hadn’t realised I’d put it in that section. Just followed a link on Google. I should have been a little more thorough.

1&2) When the machine is on (I presume this is what you meant by up), the console shows the same options as normal. However if you meant the link state, when booting it was set to up and then changed to down.

3) It has the fixed IP I set, as for anything else, I don’t know.

4) I’m unable to access it with anything. Two laptops, phone, nothing.

As for accessing other things from it, I wouldn’t know where to start.

Here’s a poor photo on the monitor I don’t usually use. Can’t access the other one at the minute.

IMG_3971.jpeg

Also, spotted this as I was letting it boot…

IMG_3973.jpeg

Upon booting, I never used to have most of what’s coming up. It was quite clean in comparison.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
4) I’m unable to access it with anything. Two laptops, phone, nothing.
What about the other way around? Can you ping anything else? Locally or over the internet?

In any case, it'd be helpful to have a rough diagram of your network to help figure out the next steps.

SimpleSimon

Dabbler
Trying to ping from the NAS did nothing, unless I did it wrong.
From a laptop to the NAS, 4 packets sent and received. What’s the “destination host” though? Is this suggesting that it’s struggling, the. Suddenly works?

IMG_3974.jpeg

As for a rough diagram of the network, I don’t think I understand what you mean sorry.
The router is connected to a booster via Ethernet which connects to two others in the building. One of those is in my room and the NAS is connected to it via Ethernet. As is my Apple TV which has no problems with signal. No other wired connections involved on the network. Plenty of WiFi connections, but they’ve always been there so nothing different.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What’s the “destination host” though? Is
A fancy way of saying "the other machine". That's weird output for ping, which contradicts itself, not sure what's going on there. Do note that you'd want to ping a different machine, not the NAS itself.

Whattteva

Wizard
I’ve been having a nightmare of a time with my NAS since the master internet socket got moved in my building. Shouldn’t have affected anything, but appears to have done or it’s just coincidental.
When you said "my building". Do you mean, you live in a multi-unit (apartment) building and share one internet connection with other tenants or you just mean the internet connection just for your own unit?

I’ve had a drive fail on me so desperately need to be able to rectify this, in the meantime I’ve disconnected all of the drives.
Your drive failed just because the internet connection changed? That seems bizarre, or are you just saying you've had a drive fail in the past and disconnecting your drives as a precaution?

SimpleSimon

Dabbler
A fancy way of saying "the other machine". That's weird output for ping, which contradicts itself, not sure what's going on there. Do note that you'd want to ping a different machine, not the NAS itself.
Aha, thank you. From the same laptop to another laptop no contradictions when doing a ping test. All went well and very quickly.

SimpleSimon

Dabbler
When you said "my building". Do you mean, you live in a multi-unit (apartment) building and share one internet connection with other tenants or you just mean the internet connection just for your own unit?

Your drive failed just because the internet connection changed? That seems bizarre, or are you just saying you've had a drive fail in the past and disconnecting your drives as a precaution?
The building has one internet connection for everyone.

The drive failing is just something extra on top of not being able to access the NAS. No connection to the problem, just unfortunate that it happened at a similar time. I’ve disconnected the drives so that hopefully another doesn’t fail whilst I’m/we’re troubleshooting.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What is the IP address of your laptop?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to change the IP address of your NAS to also start with 192.168.68... that's why you cannot reach it anymore after the change of your infrastructure.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please post the output of ping <ip of NAS> and ipconfig /all.

SimpleSimon

Dabbler
Pinging 192.168.68.66 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.68.66:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thanks, so make sure you set the IP address of your TrueNAS to 192.168.68.66 and the netmask to 255.255.255.0 or /24 - whatever format the console dialog asks for. You should then be able to ping the TrueNAS. If not we need to look at your cabling.

SimpleSimon

Dabbler
FML I have no idea why I put 32 instead of 24 before. Thank you. Such a simple solution to a frustrating problem. Thank you.