Ninjas! How do I perform site to site Backup

help!

Explorer
I have wireguard with dns for my offsite location, so I have a vpn based connection to the target,

I have tried tail scale, don’t really understand it, I honestly don’t even know what its doing but a positive to that is that the tailscale web ui sees the devices and they have their certs and keys sorted .

rsyncd this I couldn’t understand what it’s for or what it’s doing

Unless im using it incorrectly I can’t see any way of checking if its working , it just stays on 0 files transferred

I have tried the standard ssh + r sync but I’m so new to this i don’t understand the terminology pertaining to what I have to do to get it to work,

I made ssh keys and created the task, but I dont really have any prior info of how the ''backup credentials'' in credentials option works , im not sure if this is for incoming connections or outgoing or both.

So I built this system three months ago and I stil do not have a offsite backup

Offsite unit is also Truenas scale on a non static ip, with Duck dns in a app that redirects reliably to the nas ip address.

So it looks like network is working fine as I can punch into the VPN into offsite nas held by Scale’s Kubernetes container for wireguard

Im hoping this is clear what im trying to get done and what ive done up to now

NugentS

MVP
Why are you not using / trying to use snapshot replication?
As both systems are TrueNAS/ZFS this would be the logical way of going about this (IMO)

If you enter the shell on the main system, can you ping the IP address of the backup system?

help!

Explorer
Why are you not using / trying to use snapshot replication?
As both systems are TrueNAS/ZFS this would be the logical way of going about this (IMO)

If you enter the shell on the main system, can you ping the IP address of the backup system?
OKAY :D so im new to this type of system , well im well acquainted with the os its been about 6 months,

I can ping the other DNS adress of the machine in the house across my city yes! this is not just from the nas its from any place or computer

this is a dns in Kubernetes app native for truenas

so this would be my nas. i will do a topography pic this might help clear it up

things ive not tried

zfs duplicate???? never heard of it I'm terribly embarrest to admit,

BUT I LOVE TO LEARN :):):):):):smile:

things ive tried

wireguard (i assumed this would make both nas's see each otehr like there on the same V lann

but the offsite is 192.xxx.0.XXX

and home is 192.xxx.8.xxx

so the (is it a subnet) adress things are different

and Rsync never works, fails on autenticate

replication via rsync

Effectively I don't know what I'm doing, I admit this, but Ive gotten this far and would bvery much like to get this working you see

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 09.08.29.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 09.08.29.png
    523.2 KB · Views: 33

NugentS

MVP
as long as source NAS can ping destination NAS via IP address (preferably), and also by dns name (preferably) then:
  • Set up SSH credentials - TrueNAS to TrueNAS via Credentials/Backup Credentials/SSH Connections
  • Goto Data Protection/Replication Tasks/Add
    • Select source and destination and continue from there
    • [I suggest that you initially set up on the destination a dataset called "source"-snapshots or similar so you can select that as the root of your replicated snapshots
See what happens, correct as required till it all works

help!

Explorer
i can ping the router yes, that the nas is behind, and I can wireguard into my nas from outsite, but again im ot sure if i need to open ports or something , cause the nas offsite in one way (wireguard) can see the internet but using the adress of the offsite router or the dns i canbt creat a ssh into that nas
wait a min Ive static routed the 192.168.x.xxx to my router on my network is that right

and the adress you mean there by the adress of the nas is the home wireless router that routes to the nas?

cause the only adress of the nas i can see is an internal adress pointing outwards to the router then being port forwarded via wireguard

so wheere is my truenas adress is this a setting somewhere

----------------

I can ping the router yes, that the nas is behind, and I can wireguard into my nas from outsite, but again im ot sure if i need to open ports or something , cause the nas offsite in one way (wireguard) can see the internet but using the adress of the offsite router or the dns i canbt creat a ssh into that nas

|TrueNAS URL that is what I'm missing, this is the piece that I'm not getting how to do, so at the moment I have (offsite nas) Wireguard that forwarded to the adress of my router then its from there PORT forwarded via 51820 to allow wireguard to get in and out to the internet

so for SSH to work on each respective nas,

(i thought wireguard would pull the 192.168.x.xxx into my LAn but that not the case)

what do I have to do for any given nas to have a ''NAS via IP address''

as when i look in the settings all i see is a local adress in the form of 192.xxx.x.xxx

not like 10.xx.x.x.x.x

This is the bit thats getting me, so I only have wireguard port forwarded nothing else you see because I assumed this would be a catch all scenareo you see