NFS will not work despite reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microkernel

Dabbler
NFS died on my FreeNAS 11.1-U6 two days ago and I haven't been able to get it working again since then despite doing a reinstall of 11.1-U4. The service won't start after boot and trying to start it over the Web UI only results in a hung UI. Sometimes it does eventually show as active in the UI, but it isn't.

j0hnby

Explorer
Take a look at the console for error messages and post them here. Also a run down of your config too.

Microkernel

Dabbler
Take a look at the console for error messages and post them here. Also a run down of your config too.
Nothing happens at all in the console when trying to start/stop NFS. My config is really basic I just did a reinstall, added a cert and imported my existing volume.

rvassar

Guru
Look in /var/log/messages and the other logs. There has to be something complaining somewhere. Until you find it, all we're going to be able to do is guess and speculate.

Microkernel

Dabbler
Look in /var/log/messages and the other logs. There has to be something complaining somewhere. Until you find it, all we're going to be able to do is guess and speculate.
I found a bunch of python errors in middlewared.log
Code:
[2018/09/06 14:10:00] (DEBUG) ServiceService._simplecmd():255 - Calling: stop(nfs)
[2018/09/06 14:10:12] (DEBUG) ServiceService._simplecmd():255 - Calling: stop(nfs)
[2018/09/06 14:11:00] (WARNING) application.call_method():174 - Exception while calling notifier.stop(*['nfs', None, True])
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 150, in call_method
	result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/coroutines.py", line 128, in throw
	return self.gen.throw(type, value, traceback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 908, in call_method
	return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 886, in _call
	return await self.run_in_thread(methodobj, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 849, in run_in_thread
	return await self.run_in_thread_pool(self.__threadpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 845, in run_in_thread_pool
	await task
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
	result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 216, in stop
	return c.call('service.stop', what, {'onetime': onetime}, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 416, in call
	raise CallTimeout("Call timeout")
middlewared.client.client.CallTimeout: Call timeout
[2018/09/06 14:11:00] (DEBUG) middlewared.logger.CrashReporting.report():97 - Sending a crash report...
[2018/09/06 14:11:00] (DEBUG) raven.base.Client.send_remote():684 - Sending message of length 3793 to https://sentry.ixsystems.com/api/2/store/
[2018/09/06 14:11:12] (WARNING) application.call_method():174 - Exception while calling notifier.stop(*['nfs', None, True])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 150, in call_method
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 908, in call_method
	return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 886, in _call
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 849, in run_in_thread
	return await self.run_in_thread_pool(self.__threadpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 845, in run_in_thread_pool
	await task
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 416, in call
[2018/09/06 14:11:12] (DEBUG) middlewared.logger.CrashReporting.report():97 - Sending a crash report...
[2018/09/06 14:11:12] (DEBUG) raven.base.Client.send_remote():684 - Sending message of length 3459 to https://sentry.ixsystems.com/api/2/store/
[2018/09/06 14:16:44] (DEBUG) ServiceService._simplecmd():255 - Calling: stop(nfs)
[2018/09/06 14:17:44] (WARNING) application.call_method():174 - Exception while calling notifier.stop(*['nfs', None, True])
	await task
[2018/09/06 14:17:44] (DEBUG) middlewared.logger.CrashReporting.report():97 - Sending a crash report...
[2018/09/06 14:17:44] (DEBUG) raven.base.Client.send_remote():684 - Sending message of length 3326 to https://sentry.ixsystems.com/api/2/store/

rvassar

Guru
That looks like the GUI tools timing out on the stop/start. Anything from "nfsd", or ZFS?

Microkernel

Dabbler
That looks like the GUI tools timing out on the stop/start. Anything from "nfsd", or ZFS?
Nothing at all on "nfsd" and nothing suspicious about "ZFS" either. I found this in daemon.log.

Code:
ep  6 15:23:26 helium mDNSResponder: mDNSResponder (Engineering Build) (Mar 14 2018 03:28:04) stopping
Sep  6 15:23:26 helium mDNSResponder: mDNS_FinalExit failed to send goodbye for: 0000000801091580 01   26 _https._tcp.local. PTR helium._https._tcp.local.
Sep  6 15:23:26 helium mDNSResponder: mDNS_FinalExit failed to send goodbye for: 0000000801092980 01   35 _middleware-ssl._tcp.local. PTR helium._middleware-ssl._tcp.local.
Sep  6 15:23:26 helium mDNSResponder: mDNSResponder (Engineering Build) (Mar 14 2018 03:28:04) starting
Sep  6 15:23:26 helium mDNSResponder: mDNS_AddDNSServer: Lock not held! mDNS_busy (0) mDNS_reentrancy (0)
Sep  6 15:23:26 helium mDNSResponder: mDNS_AddDNSServer: Lock not held! mDNS_busy (0) mDNS_reentrancy (0)
Sep  6 15:23:26 helium mDNSResponder: CheckNATMappings: Failed to allocate port 5350 UDP multicast socket for PCP & NAT-PMP announcements

j0hnby

Explorer
Nothing happens at all in the console when trying to start/stop NFS. My config is really basic I just did a reinstall, added a cert and imported my existing volume.

Did you specify any exports in the NFS config? You haven't mentioned that so just checking with simple things.

j0hnby

Explorer
Not port - exports. Configure what you want to share via the NFS service (Find it under Sharing, Add UNIX (NFS) Share)

Microkernel

Dabbler
Not port - exports. Configure what you want to share via the NFS service (Find it under Sharing, Add UNIX (NFS) Share)
Sorry, I misread your post. I do have shares setup. Everything worked fine for a week when NFS just started to fail out of nowhere.

j0hnby

Explorer
Ah ok. Didn't think it would be that easy ;) haha.

If you turn on the console output to web option on the system, do you see anything for NFS in there if you try to start/stop the service?

Microkernel

Dabbler
Ah ok. Didn't think it would be that easy ;) haha.

If you turn on the console output to web option on the system, do you see anything for NFS in there if you try to start/stop the service?
I already have the console displayed, but just like in the logs, nothing happens at all.

j0hnby

Explorer
That's very strange then - failure to start, but no errors. When you did the fresh install, you didn't restore a backup did you? Plus you are using the "old" ui right?

Microkernel

Dabbler
That's very strange then - failure to start, but no errors. When you did the fresh install, you didn't restore a backup did you? Plus you are using the "old" ui right?
Yep I am using the old UI and I did a complete reinstall although I didn't wipe the drive before I did. I'll try doing that now and if that doesn't work I'll be looking for an alternative to FreeNAS.

j0hnby

Explorer
That is REALLY odd then. Happy for a teamview later if you want - I am curious to what's going on.

Microkernel

Dabbler
That is REALLY odd then. Happy for a teamview later if you want - I am curious to what's going on.
Not really a big fan of teamviewer, but we can sort something out later if this reinstall doesn't help either if you want.

j0hnby

Explorer
It's up to you matey if you want the assistance - let me know either way.

j0hnby

Explorer
Cool stuff - if you don't like TV, feel free to suggest an alternate. I am at work at the moment but should be home/online by about 18:30 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.