SOLVED NFS Share with Child Datasets Permissions

sdooweloc

Dabbler
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0
Virtualized within Proxmox

I have my dataset set up as pictured in the attached with CrossStich, MachineBackups, and Printing as child datasets to Media. I then have Media set up as an NFS share that I shared out to my main machine. Previously on 22.02.xx RC this worked without issue. However, since upgrading to 22.12 these child datasets on the machine where I mounted the NFS share are being displayed as owned by root and thus untouchable even though I have perms the same on the parent and children. Can someone please help me figure this out?

image.png

image.png

image.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think this post sums it up OK...

However, that applies to CORE and you're talking SCALE here, so maybe there's a difference (you seemed to notice it in the RC).

I have no idea which is right, but a quick test could certainly confirm it.

sdooweloc

Dabbler
hmmm by that post's logic though it shouldnt have worked on the RC either though. So is this like some sort of mishandling in the RC that got fixed in the release build and now intended functionality is breaking my setup? That is frustrating haha.

I liked having things organized at the dataset level but if this is going to force me to have to mount each one individually anyway then the child datasets are going to be way more hassle than its worth.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
hmmm by that post's logic though it shouldnt have worked on the RC either though. So is this like some sort of mishandling in the RC that got fixed in the release build and now intended functionality is breaking my setup? That is frustrating haha.

I liked having things organized at the dataset level but if this is going to force me to have to mount each one individually anyway then the child datasets are going to be way more hassle than its worth.

Add each dataset to your exports then mount the v4 pseudo-root. Early pre-release versions of SCALE had NFS Ganesha. We transitioned to kernel NFS for release.

sdooweloc

Dabbler
Add each dataset to your exports then mount the v4 pseudo-root. Early pre-release versions of SCALE had NFS Ganesha. We transitioned to kernel NFS for release.
Okay I am going to need a little more information than that or a good resource or something because I am not sure which export you want me to add things to or what you mean by mount it pseudo-root.

sdooweloc

Dabbler
Nevermind I figured out that by add to exports you meant define them also as shares and that allowed me to get them to be permissioned properly when the parent is shared. I will be closing this as resolved