SOLVED NFS Permissions, Am I Missing Something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings to a most helpful group!

I built my first server for the house, I set up a dataset, I configured fstab to automatically mount the dataset on a remote machine. So far so good, but I'm a bit perplexed by permissions, and think I must be missing something.

I created three users. Call them USER1, USER2 and HOUSE. I configured so they all have identical UID's on the server and remote machine, and I created a group called HOUSE on both machines with identical GID's. The idea is that I want USER1 and USER2's files to be private, and HOUSE to be shared. I made the owner of the dataset ROOT and the group owner HOUSE. I can mount the dataset on the remote machine at boot, all users can make a folder in it, but the access is quirky. All users can access each others files, but only the logged in users can WRITE to their own files. This is obviously not ideal, as USER1 and USER2's files are not private.

Am I missing something here? On the dataset... RWX for OWNER, RWX for GROUP, nothing for others. The RWX for GROUP seemed necessary to allow each user to create their own subfolder on the mount, they become owner of that subfolder, but other users can still get in.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Steven

Last edited:
UPDATE: So I'm thinking my initial confusion related to setting permissions from the NAS, not on the client. I seem to have gotten all that sorted out... I can now separate the users and shared group files locally on the client. The permissions on the dataset set the *INITIAL* permissions, and the files themselves have their permissions set on the machine accessing the data.

Amazing what glazing over the word *INITIAL* can do to confuse you.

Thanks,
Steven

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.