NFS file lock hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Dumont

Dabbler
Recently moved our NFS homes from a CentOS 6 box to a FreeNAS 9.10 box.

After the move, rather a lot of stuff -- firefox, chrome, svn -- is failing because attempts to grab a file lock are just hanging. Specifically, fcntl(F_SETLK). Several different client OSes, all Linux distros -- all exhibit the same problem -- a couple CentOS major releases, Ubuntu.

I'm currently working around the problem by adding nolock to the NFS mount options. But of course, that means no cross-client locking, which could lead to trouble if more than one client tries to access the same file at the same time, so I'd like to fix NFS locking if I can.

The automount options for homes are: fstype=nfs,hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid,nolock. The nolock option, as I said above, was just now added to avoid the lock hang. When it is removed, hangs happen.

I've attached the /etc/sysconfig/nfs from the prior, CentOS 6 NFS server, but it's very boring. All comments. Which I guess means it's running with all defaults. I believe the commented-out config lines tell you what those defaults are.

If there's anything else I can provide to help debug this problem, please let me know.

Attachments

• _etc_sysconfig_nfs.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 479

Phil Dumont

Dabbler
What are your system specs?
http://www.45drives.com/pdf/SpecQ30-Base.pdf
Options: Rocket 750 Host bus adaptor, 8GB mem

What version of FreeNAS?
I think I mentioned it in the original post, but I'll repeat it here for your convenience: FreeNAS 9.10

Do you have portmap turned on?
Er, that's the same as rpcbind, right? It looks like I do:

storinator1# ps -J 0 -af | grep rpc
1639 - Is 0:00.27 /usr/sbin/rpcbind
1918 - Is 0:00.12 /usr/sbin/rpc.statd
14133 1 S+ 0:00.00 grep rpc
storinator1#

Phil Dumont

Dabbler
One more data point...

I had said the attempt to lock hangs. Well, it doesn't hang indefinitely, it just takes a long time to return. When when it does, it's with an EIO failure (Input/output error).

Attachments

• getlk.c.txt
    773 bytes · Views: 251

styno

Patron
Just to be sure, you are exporting over nfsv3 and not nfsv4?

Phil Dumont

Dabbler
Affirmative. In the FreeNAS NFS service settings the "Enable NFSv4" checkbox is clear.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-06-28 15:42:34.png
    Screenshot from 2016-06-28 15:42:34.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 454
Status
Not open for further replies.