NFS Change: 9.3 to 9.10? Windows Server Behavior Changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did NFS change between FreeNAS versions 9.3 and 9.10?

We use FreeNAS to store security video generated on a Windows 2012 server. This server connects to FreeNAS using NFS. The video server works like a champ with FreeNAS 9.3 but not with FreeNAS 9.10. Blank video files are created every second but that's about it. When I try to write a file manually, I get this error...

FreeNAS-Locking.jpg

A file locking problem, well-documented, right? Pretty sure we had that problem a couple years ago when we initially setup FreeNAS for use with the security server. But we're using the exact same options when mounting both FreeNAS servers. Here are the mount commands and the resulting mounts...

Code:

mount -o anon,mtype=soft,retry=5,timeout=5,nolock \\FreeNAS-910\mnt\V-Security\Cameras N:
mount -o anon,mtype=soft,retry=5,timeout=5,nolock \\FreeNAS-93\mnt\V-Security\Cameras O:

Local  Remote                              Properties
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
N:     \\FreeNAS-910\mnt\V-Security\Cameras    UID=-2, GID=-2
                                           rsize=131072, wsize=131072
                                           mount=soft, timeout=0.8
                                           retry=1, locking=yes
                                           fileaccess=755, lang=ANSI
                                           casesensitive=no
                                           sec=sys

O:     \\FreeNAS-93\mnt\V-Security\Cameras  UID=-2, GID=-2
                                           rsize=131072, wsize=131072
                                           mount=soft, timeout=0.8
                                           retry=1, locking=no
                                           fileaccess=755, lang=ANSI
                                           casesensitive=no
                                           sec=sys

The only difference we can see is 'locking=no' on the 9.3 server and 'locking=yes' on the 9.10 server. I'm going to guess that's the only difference.

The underlying file permissions are fine because, to get this mostly working, we've been using CIFS to export that share to the security server and it works fine with CIFS.

What are we missing?

Cheers,
Matt

Nope, nothing in the logs. Mounted as NFS from a CentOS 6.7 host, it works as expected. The XenServer VMs mounted over NFS work fine, too. It's only a problem from Windows Server 2012 near as I can tell.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Let us know if you figure out a solution/work-around.

Our work-around, @dlavigne, is to use CIFS instead of NFS and hope someone with more resources than us figures it out and gets it fixed.

I'm sure my distaste for CIFS and preference for NFS is partially historical and mostly irrational given our use case and advances in both protocols. Maybe I'm just cranky. Still, gosh darn, it worked for nearly two years with 9.3. It shouldn't break with 9.10.

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.