Nextcloud - Permissions and ACLs on SMB share

Peek

Cadet
Creating a dataset with an SMB share directly at the dataset's root works perfectly.

However ....

Trying to setup an SMB share deeper within the dataset's filesystem, seems undoable.

I currently understand that the particular filesystem's (or dataset's) permissions is changed via Storage > Pools > | > Edit Permissions

1612479216402.png

Whereas a particular folder's permissions is changed via Sharing > Windows Shares (SMB) > | > Edit Filesystem ACL and then the button "USE PERMISSIONS EDITOR"

1612480683346.png

1612480723563.png

.. which does not allow setting the permissions accordingly

1612480755787.png

To be noted that the "USE PERMISSIONS EDITOR" button tends to disappear when revisting Sharing > Windows Shares (SMB) > | > Edit Filesystem ACL

1612480903725.png

Is this purely Noob confusion on TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1 ?

MeuhSly

Dabbler
Have you got some news on this subject ?

I access my NAS via Samba Share and want to access it with nextcloud outside my house.
I created a mountpoint in nextcloud to make a bridge between internal Nextcloud storage (inside the jail) and a Dataset in my NAS.

Is you problem the same as mine ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Don't mix access methods. If you want to present e.g. a large media collection via Nextcloud to access while on the road, mount that SMB dataset read-only into the Nextcloud jail and add as an external storage. Don't read/write to Nextcloud managed data by any other method than Nextcloud.

Not cast in concrete advice, just my experience after some years with the product in a corporate environment.

MeuhSly

Dabbler
Don't mix access methods. If you want to present e.g. a large media collection via Nextcloud to access while on the road, mount that SMB dataset read-only into the Nextcloud jail and add as an external storage. Don't read/write to Nextcloud managed data by any other method than Nextcloud.

Not cast in concrete advice, just my experience after some years with the product in a corporate environment.
Thank you for the reply, that is the conclusion I get by using this method.
Have you an idea of how I can Read/Write both in local and and outside my local network ?

Should I need to use Nextcloud app to work locally with it ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, of course. At least that's what we do. Nextcloud desktop app and folder sync works great. And especially in a LAN it's fast. And you can sync folders/projects/customers/... selectively.

MeuhSly

Dabbler
Yes, of course. At least that's what we do. Nextcloud desktop app and folder sync works great. And especially in a LAN it's fast. And you can sync folders/projects/customers/... selectively.
Do you have some information about permission to DataSet for nextcloud, I tried to put some new file into my local hard drive nextcloud sync folder but it can't sync them (I'm very sorry for noobs question but I'm so lost with TrueNas permission management) ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No. Install client, log in, enable sync, throw files into folder. Working here for 35 users. All Macs, though. Why would one ever mess with permissions on a single user desktop system?

Or do you mean on the server side? The Nextcloud data folder/dataset must belong to the use that runs the PHP scripts. On Linux frequently "www-run", on FreeBSD "www".

MeuhSly

Dabbler
No. Install client, log in, enable sync, throw files into folder. Working here for 35 users. All Macs, though. Why would one ever mess with permissions on a single user desktop system?

Or do you mean on the server side? The Nextcloud data folder/dataset must belong to the use that runs the PHP scripts. On Linux frequently "www-run", on FreeBSD "www".
Yeah, i was talking server side ! Of course we don't need permission with Nextcloud App.

I tried to set "www" as user and group but when I put some file on nextcloud with nextcloud app it sync nothing and return me permission error.

Here is my setup for nextcloud :

On my pool "NAS" i got a dataset "something" with "www" as user and group.
On my nextcloud jail, I have created a folder name "something" too in /mnt.
I have created a mount point between "something" dataset and "something" folder.

Now I install nextcloud and log me with the right credentials and when I want to paste new files ... meh .. permission error

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Have you configured the path to the dataset in Nextcloud?

MeuhSly

Dabbler
Have you configured the path to the dataset in Nextcloud?
What do you meen by configure ?

By the way I saw on the web that sync problems may be due to php error, I update TrueNas to TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1 and Nextcloud to 25.0.2 and for the moment it seems good.

EDIT
Problem still about Sabre/DAV/....

Attachments

• NextCloud Sabre DAV.png
    NextCloud Sabre DAV.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
Last edited: