Nextcloud DNS Setup for External Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xander23

Cadet
Hello everyone. I followed this guide on setting up my nextcloud within my local network: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xwnoIrUTI&feature=youtu.be . Everything works great locally. However, I am quite a noob at setting up DNS and stuff like that. I have searched the forums for a guide and have had trouble finding something. Have I missed anything? Would anyone point me in the direction of a guide or something similar that I could use to figure everything out? I basically want to access nextcloud externally through the client they provide. I have already purchased a domain name and have been trying to figure it out for days. Could anyone offer any advice?
Thank You

nojohnny101

Wizard
I can not answer your question specifically, but may I offer a word of advice.

If you are, as you put it, a "noob" at setting up DNS and other related networking things, it would not be wise to essentially open up your local network to external traffic. A safer way would be to SSH into your local network and then browse from there. But maybe that doesn't accomplish what you want.

If I were you, and I didn't know enough to set it up and feel confident in its security, I would not do it. This was my conclusion when I considered the same thing you are asking.

Dice

Wizard
Would anyone point me in the direction of a guide or something similar that I could use to figure everything out?

1. Register a dynamic dns service (dyndns.org, ex). Some are free, some are paid. It maps your external ip to a chosen name.
2. Change the listening port in Nextcloud, default is 9000.
3. On your firewall/router, setup a port forwarding between the local ip of the nextcloud jail. Use the port # you selected while completing #3.

Google the specifics. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.