Newbie Install on Dell 2850...what am I doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastapaul

Cadet
Hi Folks,

I've tried several times to install FreeNAS on a Dell 2850 with no joy.

I've downloaded the latest x64 version and created a bootable ISO.
I've run the ISO directly on the server and installed to USB. To date, I've tried 4 different USBs (from 2GB to 8GB) in both ports on the rear of the machine.

After install, the machine reboots from the USB and a Free BSD menu comes up (options F1 & F2 For Free BSD and F5 for Drive0). Then the screen fills (over time) with the # symbol.

I initially thought the # was indicative that something was processing but after leaving it overnight and it was still generating # the next day I figured something wasn't right.

I know the hardware is good, I had a working trial of NexentaStor on there which booted from USB and worked quite well. I want to try FreeNAS because we can't afford the licensed products and the Nexenta community license is a bit misleading.

FYI - I do have the RAID controller working. I thought (at least for now) I should be able to get a test system working and simply have the drives configured as RAID 0.
I've also seen the post about having the serial port active on Dell Hardware. Have tried this too, but no change in my results.

Any help appreciated.

pastapaul

Cadet
Looks like I fixed it. The rear USB ports only work to boot as an emulated floppy drive. Had to put the USB stick in the front.
Strange they made it like that. I prefer have the usb sticks in the rear as there is less chance they'll get bumped or accidentally removed.

Anyway... I can finally now setup my first FreeNAS box... hooray!

Status
Not open for further replies.