Hi,

So here's the situation:
Dell PowerEdge 1800 - Xeon - 8GB Ram - 2x1TB sata
When I boot from USB stick it gets to the options
F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Drive0
F6 PXE

Boot: F1 ########################## and it goes on and on writing # on the screen no matter what I press.

What I've tried:

Using images x86 and x64 extracting them and installed on the stick using xzcat and dd straight - no sucess
Downloaded an ISO and burned it to a CD-ROM - Booted Up sucessfully and then installed it on the USB stick, installed succesfully but when I booted from the USB stick the same problem of above appeared again.

Any tips, clues??

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Usually that's a sign your hardware isn't supported with FreeNAS. I'd check your BIOS and update, make sure you've set your BIOS settings according to the manual, and try again. Not all hardware works with FreeBSD.

A quick google turned up http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/1800_specs.pdf and that doesn't list FreeBSD as being supported in the Operating Systems list. Usually this is a virtual guarantee it won't work, but there are some exceptions. Sorry but you are on your own from here on out because I don't have your hardware.

AlexSal

Dabbler
Usually that's a sign your hardware isn't supported with FreeNAS. I'd check your BIOS and update, make sure you've set your BIOS settings according to the manual, and try again. Not all hardware works with FreeBSD.

A quick google turned up http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/1800_specs.pdf and that doesn't list FreeBSD as being supported in the Operating Systems list. Usually this is a virtual guarantee it won't work, but there are some exceptions. Sorry but you are on your own from here on out because I don't have your hardware.

Cyberjock - Makes sense, configuration on BIOS are ok, It used to work fine with FreeNAS 8.x maybe version 9 had changes that made it not compatible?

Also i'm checking if there are BIOS or other updates available for my system.

If this helps in any way the hardware config is below

PROCESSOR, 80546K, 3.0G, 2M, XEON NOCONA, 800, N0

Assembly, Tray, Motherboard Quanta, PE1800, 4

BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP), T, 3.0, XEON IRWINDALE, 2M, 1P, P1800, 8, X

Module, Shipping Material, Box Tower Chassis, PE1800

Module, Chassis, Non-Redundant PWR-SPLY, PE1800

Card, Backplane, SCSI (SMALL COMPUTER SYSTEMS INTERFACE), 1X6, PE1800

Dual In-line Memory Module, 1G 400M, 128X72, X1562, Brazil Customer Center

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. that hardware is no help to me. :(

AlexSal

Dabbler
CyberJock - I don't want to be rude but that's a little odd, cannot be a hardware incompatibility seems more like there's an issue with the USB img of FreeNAS since I have placed my SAS HD back and installed the ISO succesfully and it booted up normally.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What's odd about it? I don't have your hardware so I can't troubleshoot your issue. That's all I was saying. Plenty of issues involving FreeBSD/FreeNAS can only be troubleshot with the actual hardware. People put in tickets at bugs.freenas.org all the time and developers ask for access to the box so they can identify the issue. There should be nothing alien about this. If you are uncomfortable with the fact that many issues are just far to complex to troubleshoot from a forum setting you may not want to dive into FreeNAS. Plenty of people here can't get FreeNAS to work or lose their data because they lack the experience and knowledge to troubleshoot an issue that requires the server admin to troubleshoot locally.

That doesn't rule out hardware as a problem. Plenty of hardware doesn't boot from USB properly for FreeBSD. If it's booting from a SAS HD then I guess you almost validated that it IS a hardware problem. Your system doesn't boot FreeBSD properly from USB. Just makes me wonder what else it doesn't do right for FreeBSD and you'll find out about later on.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Dell power edge servers require a setting in BIOS to enable booting from USB. I forgot the exact setting but it's in the USB settings

Sent from my Nexus 5

AlexSal

Dabbler
What's odd about it? I don't have your hardware so I can't troubleshoot your issue. That's all I was saying. Plenty of issues involving FreeBSD/FreeNAS can only be troubleshot with the actual hardware. People put in tickets at bugs.freenas.org all the time and developers ask for access to the box so they can identify the issue. There should be nothing alien about this. If you are uncomfortable with the fact that many issues are just far to complex to troubleshoot from a forum setting you may not want to dive into FreeNAS. Plenty of people here can't get FreeNAS to work or lose their data because they lack the experience and knowledge to troubleshoot an issue that requires the server admin to troubleshoot locally.

That doesn't rule out hardware as a problem. Plenty of hardware doesn't boot from USB properly for FreeBSD. If it's booting from a SAS HD then I guess you almost validated that it IS a hardware problem. Your system doesn't boot FreeBSD properly from USB. Just makes me wonder what else it doesn't do right for FreeBSD and you'll find out about later on.

I see what you mean, and that's probably right. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll look around the web to see if there's anything else about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.