New VirtualBox (v5.any) kernel module for FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_G

Dabbler
Hello everyone.

I've used custom jail to install VirtualBox+nginx on it, it worked more stable (in my case), than default virtualbox plugin for FreeNAS. Maybe it's because of VirtualBox verison - 4.3.38 vs 4.3.12 in plugin, maybe not.

Recently I wanted to refresh pkgs in jail, but accidentally upgraded from virtualbox-ose 4.3.38 to 5.0.26. It didn't worked after upgrade, I've started to looking for a solution, found none appropriate and it seems that key of the problem is in FreeNAS kernel - it uses an 4.3.34 kernel module:
Code:
pkg info | grep virtual
virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.3.34     VirtualBox kernel module for FreeBSD

Maybe it's incompatible with 5.0.26 binaries, when install them in jail.

So two my questions:
1. Anybody knows about plans of developers - will they implement virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.X.Y in future releases?
2. Maybe someone has positive experience about installing VirtualBox 5 into a FreeNAS jail? Could you share with us, please? Thanks in advance.

Hope my topic isn't violating any rules on this forum.

m0nkey_

MVP
Best guess, VirtualBox kernel modules will not be upgraded. Once FN10 is released, the default hypervisor will be Bhyve. Bhyve is already available on 9.10 using iohyve to manage it.

John_G

Dabbler
Best guess, VirtualBox kernel modules will not be upgraded. Once FN10 is released, the default hypervisor will be Bhyve. Bhyve is already available on 9.10 using iohyve to manage it.

Okay, thank you for reply, guess you're right. But afaik bhyve isn't supporting any gui-based OS for now, only console-based, and when freebsd will handle that - nobody knows.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.