New User - VMWare/ZimaBoard 832

anon_uk

Cadet
Hello all,

I am new to TrueNAS, but it appears to be what I am looking for. While I am waiting for my ZimaBoard to arrive, I want to test some functions/capabilities first as a VM (Core).

One thing I am having trouble with, and want to try. I want to add a remote volume as a local disk so that TrueNAS Core can identify the remote the drive and use a pool; any ideas how I can do this. Thanks

Arwen

MVP
If I am understanding what you want, no, TrueNAS Core or SCALE is not setup to use a remote disk in a pool. All pool storage would be local to the server, (attached via SATA, SAS, NVMe, or potentially Fibre Channel, etc...).

That said, what is the goal for this remote drive?
You want TrueNAS to store things on it?
Using ZFS?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
While I am waiting for my ZimaBoard to arrive,

TrueNAS has a minimum memory requirement of 16GB for Core, 8GB for Scale. Only one model of ZimaBoard (832) has even the 8GB memory, and that is not going to be particularly pleasant because of the way the poorly integrated ARC handling on Linux works. I would not be shocked to see the minimum memory requirement on Scale get bumped up within the next year or two, probably to 16GB. Just be aware.